Too late to buy chicks?

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
I currently have a flock of 17 hens, different breeds and was planning to add 6-12 chicks to the flock in late summer. Already I'm behind the eight ball, but there remain some Australorps at my local feed store, a breed I wanted to try for their dual-purpose-ness. Is it not cost-efficient to buy them this late in the year, as their fifth month would occur around mid-December? Six birds won't cost me a lot in terms of extra feed-and I had planned to expand the coop anyway-but can it be justified otherwise?

Since they won't be in prime laying time (spring) until they're well into their 9th or 10th month of (laying) age, should I just wait until next spring to buy? Or perhaps look for some pullets instead? Thanks.

If you wait until spring to buy chicks you won't get eggs until the end of the prime laying season. Are you OK with that?

How do you feed them? Do you buy all the food they eat or do they forage for a substantial portion of that? Time of year might affect your feed bill if they forage a lot.

I've also had pullets start to lay in December. I've had some wait until later. I know your winters are more severe than mine, but I'd expect at least some Australorps to start when they are mature enough. Australorps are known to be good winter layers.

I start hatching chicks in January/February and finish my last hatch this time of the year. So I usually have pullets coming into lay during the shortest days of the year. Some usually do lay then but some wait. If you wish you can extend the light to help them get started but I don't.

I'm a newbie but I lost my first little flock or 4 so starting over with new chicks shipped day old last Monday, but they sent 6. From what I've read on this site most anytime is OK for new chicks.

Well, the enablers won. I bought six Australorps earlier this week. There are 3+ weeks old and I'm tickled to have them.

To answer the feed question, they will be on straight grower until they're laying, with occasional kitchen and garden scraps. It's not a huge feed bill for 23 birds and with added egglaying power, I think I can turn a small profit; currently more or less breaking even with egg sales, which was my intent.

My father's doctor told him to cut out cereal and eat more eggs so I'm also preparing for his new diet.

Thanks to all and sundry.

Check the protein content of that grower: when I've done a comparison, it's only 15% protein. My preference is to keep them on at least 18% until they are ready for layer at 16%. You did well to find 3 week old chicks. They will need very little if any heat, and if they use it at all, it will most likely only be at night for perhaps a week. You may have to spend some time training them to the heating pad as it will be a foreign concept to them. IMO, you will enjoy this breed. If you want them to start laying before early to mid Feb, you can always put them on supplemental light. There's a whole lot of education to be had about the how and why of supplemental light as it relates to and affects onset of sexual maturity. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom