Too long between internal and external pip?

Well, thats exactly what I did. Success

I am working on Muscovies for the first time. Apparently they are different. I don't want to use the math method, too confusing for me, at least the ex that I read on another website. WHat did you do, to hatch yours

I'd say it was pretty easy actually. My incubator is a homemade still-air. The therm on top of the eggs is usually around 100-102. The first batch, I had the humidity around 60% until the internal pip, then I made sure it was closer to 70. The last batch I hatched out, I tried a dry hatch and they also did just fine, you still have to get to 70%humidity for the hatching part. I turned 3 times a day until I saw a pip. They take forever from internal pip, to external, to zipping. Its usually a 2 day process. And since a still-air incubator isn't as exact, you get cold/hot spots, the internal pips may be 2 days apart. Toward the last 2 weeks of incubating, I focus on the air cell size and start sponging down the eggs. Depending on the size, I may do it every night, or every few days. The first attempt at hatching, they were tiny so for the last week they were actually incubating (they hatched 5 days early) I sponged them every night. I was soooo worried they were going to drown in the shell, but by the time the first pipped, the air cell was a little less than half the size of the egg. I'd say they were just as easy, if not easier than the maren and buff mixed chicks I hatched. I made my incubator and was totally winging it :oops: but the first batch, 2 of 2 made it to hatch day one got turned around zipping and suffocated. The 2nd were chicks, 3 of 7 hatched, the ones that didn't 2 got cooked early on when the weather got nice, the other 2 had tiny air cells(and THICK shells) the last batch was 4 muscovy, one quit early, the others hatched with no trouble, again, about 4 days early. Considering I spent like 30 bucks to make 2 incubators, I'd say it's been a success.:wee
And I'm at it again. There are 5 scovy eggs in it now. My youngest hen layed 5 then stopped, waits 3weeks, the lays 4 more :he. I wasn't going to turn it back on until later in the summer. But I couldn't bring myself to eat perfectly good, fertile muscovy eggs :pop so now we wait :lau hopefully this time she will keep laying and take care of the incubating herself. If not, they will go in with the others. I seriously have a problem. I can't eat the Duck eggs.... I HAVE TO HATCH THEM:clap

Back
Top Bottom