too many pics of my Pekin duck friends outside for the 2nd time

3acres

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Missouri
big_smile.png

The bigger two are 3 weeks and a couple days old.....the littlest one is 2 weeks and a couple days old.

Fun time caring for ducks!

Yes, they do grow super fast. I am a first time duck mommy and in just one week they've tripled in size. I wish I would have taken daily pictures.

Thanks everybody! ...thanks for looking and posting!

Them growing so fast is the biggest shock so far on raising ducks. I didn't know anything about ducks, but didn't imagine the growth rate....
big_smile.png
. Not knowing they needed niacin was another big find. I couldn't find any plain around, but ordered some. The feed I'm using has some in it too.

When I first put little Pipsqueak there in with the other two, I thought I had made a mistake. Piggy never did anything to him/her, but Pistachio sure wanted Pip to know that he/she was at the bottom of the pecking order. After an hour of me saying "quit that"....lol....and them getting use to each other, those two older ones almost started acting like parents to he/she. It's neat.

I've been taking tons of pics of them everyday! ....and am glad they aren't scared of me anymore!

We had a blast yesterday! Boy they sure tilt their heads when they see a bird fly overhead! They came to me for safety when the cats and dogs checked them out and when Hawkeye the rooster came over. I had them in a circle made of two hog panels.....worked good. When I talk real excited to them, they dance in place, then start running all over around me with their head down all excited like....I love it when they do that!!! .....
lol.png
. They were able to really get to running around like that yesterday.

I can't wait to someday take them to one of my ponds to play!

I have two female Pekins coming next week and 10 Rouens coming....can't wait! .....and can't wait to watch them all swim and run around!

I'm thinking about getting pekin ducks soon. I want to make sure I know all the important information to keep them healthy. Any advice for a beginner? I also have some questions. Any answer will help a lot.
1. What kind of environment do they need to sleep in?
2. How should I give them baths and if I do is it safe to use something like dawn dish soap or Johnson's baby shampoo?
3. How old do they need to be before I can let them swim freely and how should I let them swim in the meantime?
4. Should I take them in during the winter?
Any other advice would be great and really helpfull too.
1f604.png
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting pekin ducks soon. I want to make sure I know all the important information to keep them healthy. Any advice for a beginner? I also have some questions. Any answer will help a lot.
1. What kind of environment do they need to sleep in?
2. How should I give them baths and if I do is it safe to use something like dawn dish soap or Johnson's baby shampoo?
3. How old do they need to be before I can let them swim freely and how should I let them swim in the meantime?
4. Should I take them in during the winter?
Any other advice would be great and really helpfull too.
1f604.png
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

I'll be back with pictures of what I have done with mine so far! I'm happy to do it!

In the mean time, the duck stickies are a great place to start.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

It takes hours and hours.... but I think just going through every thread posted in this duck section and reading every word posted is a great thing to do....can't help but to pick up on stuff!

I googled duck hatcheries and read every word posted throughout their sites also.

Can't have too many books and mags on them either, IMO.

I'd start laying in on tips, but feel I'm too new to do so. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in???

I will came back with pics though of what I have done like I said. They are a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom