Topic of the Week - Beaks, spurs and nails

I don't trim beaks or nails as my birds free range and when the spurs get too long I use a dog nail trimmer to cut the tips off, don't go down too low or it will bleed. Corn starch works to stop it just like on a dogs nail if you go down too low.

Spurs:
To remove spurs, I use a pliers. I grasp next to where the spur is attached to the leg, and support the leg with one hand. It takes a bit of practice and gets easier with time. tighten the pliers until they are firm on the spur then rock back and forth. It takes about 6 twists. Keep close to the leg, don't squeeze too hard on the pliers. Amount of blood varies -- sometimes they seem to bleed a lot, other times hardly at all. The remaining flesh underneath will be tender and painful for a bit, then the spurs will begin to regrow.
Here's a link to a video demo where the guy makes it look easy.
It can be done by hand but I prefer the grip that the pliers gives.

Beaks:
Once had an Isbar with slight tendency to cross beak - and using a nail file on her beak enabled her to better eat her feed.

Claws:
If you have dog nail clippers they work well on chicken claws. The kind I have has a plate to put the pointed end of the nail upon to prevent too deep a cut. From time to time, I've had chickens that need claws trimmed.

Great topic Sumi! - good insights from your posters too. :thumbsup
I like the spurs long. They curl back around so they are not dangerous. Being impaled by a rooster spur is a special kind of pain. I have to watch out, though, that they do not grow into the leg. Thanks for the tip on removing the spurs at the base. Good info!

We have black spots on the cone is that ok? Also one of the chicks was born with the tell feathers alldown. Is tht ok?
I have had that problem with all of my chickens-not all at once, but it has affected them all. I finally took one in and asked my vet. It's "foul pox" - they get it from mosquitoes. Ironically, the chicken pox we get is carried by cows. Who knew:confused:? They will only get them once, just like us, but if they are sickly it can kill them. If they're healthy, they'll be fine.

I've always had full-beaked hens.I just bought a group of hens from Southern States and their beaks were trimmed. My hens are free living birds and live off the grass, bugs and picking through cow manure in the pasture. I do provide a locked roost for them in the evenings. Anyway, my neighbor thinks my hens are starving. He thinks they cannot tear off grass and other plants because they don't have a beak tip. Any possibility that this is true? Have I just bought a group of super-dependent hens? Thanks for your help.

I've always had full-beaked hens.I just bought a group of hens from Southern States and their beaks were trimmed. My hens are free living birds and live off the grass, bugs and picking through cow manure in the pasture. I do provide a locked roost for them in the evenings. Anyway, my neighbor thinks my hens are starving. He thinks they cannot tear off grass and other plants because they don't have a beak tip. Any possibility that this is true? Have I just bought a group of super-dependent hens? Thanks for your help.

don't worry, they can eat everything. I have 3 isa browns with trimmed beaks and they are my fastest greedy eaters. they scratch and peck all day long.

This discussion needs to be broken up based upon the type of damage. Illustrations depicting type should head each. Type of damage with respect to beaks poorly laid out so far.
That is an astute observation, because there are degrees of 'cross beak' from very slight and hardly noticeable like the one I had, to very severe and debilitating for the chicken.
However, do you think that the readers would know what the difference was by the poster's description?
:confused:

don't worry, they can eat everything. I have 3 isa browns with trimmed beaks and they are my fastest greedy eaters. they scratch and peck all day long.
Thank you. I was panicked about mistreating my hens. Glad to know they aren't living off the 4 scoops of treat they all share each day.

I never trim anything...My birds naturally wear down their nails scratching and I have big rocks put out for them to hone their beaks on...One in the run and one outside by the coop when free ranging...They use them all the time...

Back
Top Bottom