Topic of the Week - Building a Chicken Coop

This is why I'm so coon conscious: $8,000 damage to my house by coons including the trapping costs, I'm in the city license required. We had to control the coons before the damage could be repaired. Rid of one family of them and before the contractors could go to work -- weather issues as February. Another family ripped out the temporary barricades and moved in. Luckily they didn't get through the ceiling into the house and stayed in the attic. The trapping people resorted to kill traps as they kept escaping the live ones. They are not getting my chicks if I can prevent it. It's costing me more $$ than planned but my stone counter tops can wait. ;)

This is why I'm so coon conscious: $8,000 damage to my house by coons including the trapping costs, I'm in the city license required. We had to control the coons before the damage could be repaired. Rid of one family of them and before the contractors could go to work -- weather issues as February. Another family ripped out the temporary barricades and moved in. Luckily they didn't get through the ceiling into the house and stayed in the attic. The trapping people resorted to kill traps as they kept escaping the live ones. They are not getting my chicks if I can prevent it. It's costing me more $$ than planned but my stone counter tops can wait. ;)

Wow! That is some serious damage! That would have been scary if they'd actually got into the house. Even though I think they're cute, they are terrifying and vicious if provoked. Couple years ago there was a story on the local news about a guy whose small dog was attacked in the yard by a raccoon. The guy ran out to save the dog and literally pulled the raccoon off the dog and it of course started attacking him. I was shocked at the injuries he sustained and required stitches. He had cuts/scratches all over his face, arms and chest. He also had to go through rabies treatment because the raccoon got away so they couldn't test it. Never underestimate the determination and temperament of raccoons!

I think the $$'s are well spent to protect the flock and hopefully, your home too!

House is good now but the coons will still climb the steel siding and get on the roof occasionally, scares me when they do. Luckily I have super insurance. Woke up in the middle of the night once and thought I wonder if my insurance will cover it? they did.

They are vicious nasty critters even if the little ones are cute. I don't like them much anymore. They can kill cats, dogs, and attack people if cornered or have babies near, in addition to liking domestic birds.

I also have dealt with coons. Several years ago, I had a coon chasing my car down the road. I called the neighbor to ask if he had a gun. He did not, but like a tourist, he decided to go get a picture of it, in spite of my warning. That coon chased him all the way home. Luckily, he was faster than the coon, though he's not a young man. Several weeks ago, hubby shot a huge coon on our side lawn. It was full of porcupine quills, and smelled quite skunky. A google search said that a coon with quills was most likely infected with rabies or distemper. The internet says it, so it must be so! :old Over the years, we've taken down a fair number of coons that have been out roaming around in the middle of the day, acting off balance/sick. One year, I had a coon kill all but 3 of my chickens in a single night. The next morning, He came back to get the rest. He was met with a dose of lead. Any coons that show up in my yard are immediately killed. I no longer consider them to be cute. As a child, I bottle fed a baby coon that was rescued when Mama was hit by a car. (Family friends took it in). But, now, after seeing the damage they are capable of, I consider them to be overgrown rats with striped tails.

Predator proofing :celebrateand reasons why you should!!

Back to building suggestions: Taking a break from building mine waiting for paint to dry and scanning through the zoning law threads. So sad for some people. Check your zoning laws before you build and before you get chickens!!!!!!

I checked mine--6 chickens no roosters. Coops and runs no closer than 40 feet from the nearest adjacent domicile and of course the usual keep clean etc. That necessitated a change in the planned location for my coop. It was too close to my 90yo neighbor's home which will be sold in the coming years. She wouldn't complain but future owners may. Back to work.

Ok after spending $63 at Lowe's and a Saturday morning I expanded my little coop with a 6×4×2.5 run. Next time I'm going to build it all myself. 520024031.jpg

Sadly I don't have a picture of my coop up here, but it is beautiful, IMO. I am fifteen, and built it 6' by 8' by 6' tall- completely by myself. It is not as hard as many of you fear!!!! I definitely suggest building your own.

- Do's and don'ts - What did you wish you did differently, or knew, when you built your coop?
Do: Make it walk in!!! My first coop was only 4' tall-- and omg, is it ever a pain to crouch while cleaning or checking injured or broody birds. :( Make it adjustable for all poultry types- I have tried ducks, quail, guinea fowl, chickens, and now have a rabbit with my chickens. Always plan it bigger than you want, because chicken math. Make the roosts movable, so you can remove them to clean, or for young birds or non-roosting fowl.
Don't: Forget ventilation! Do not! This is important and personally, I suggest at least half of the vents to be closable (I live in Northern Alberta, so this is important.) Don't forget a window, and don't make it too big.
I wish I had known that one of my chickens may be unable to roost, and made a removable roost close to the ground for her- I feel for her constantly. I also wish I had made removable nest boxes- trying to catch little chicks cornered up in a box is difficult.

- What materials would you recommend (or not) and why?
When building, I suggest using paint rather than treated wood, it is cheaper and paint allows you to be creative. My birds also enjoy seeing how dusty they can make my white walls before I clean them.:rolleyes: I also recommend stick with one material, as it will make cleaning and maintenence easier. Use 1/2'' or 1/4'' hardware cloth over all vents, and I like my Dutch door (two-piece), a lot, because it is less work and easy for my brothers to collect eggs.

- Coop size(s)?
My coop has adequate square feet for 24 birds, if the roosts are managed well and they have all-day access to free range (I 'free range' my birds in a fenced area of about 500 square feet, soon to be more.)
When building your coop, double the square feet you want for the amount of birds and try to average at about 3 or 4 square feet a bird. That depends on their living situation, for example, birds cooped up all the time should have 8-10 square feet. You should plan your coop for twice the amount of birds you want. Keep in mind, ducks- 3-4 sq ft, geese- 6-8 square feet, chickens- 2-4 square feet, quail- 1-2 square feet, etc.

- Money saving tips for coop builders?
Use paint instead of treated wood. If you still wish to use treated wood, keep in mind it does not paint as well as other types of wood. Always double measure your wood too, so you don't waste anything!

- Anything you'd like to add?
Make sure your coop fits your budget. With time and commitment, everyone can make a plan that suits them and their budget. And when you do move those chickens in, they will absolutely adore it! :love

You are 15?! Wow! You're really thinking about the future! Most teens nowadays couldn't be bothered to help out in the backyard, much less build a coop and run it. You are an inspiration! <3 Congrats, hun! And thank you for your advice... I'll look back at this information when I get ready to build my first coop. :D

Back
Top Bottom