Topic of the Week - Chicken Myths, True or False?

Love this thread. Thank you Sumi for starting this as well as the TOWs in general.

Here's one. Birds of a feather flock together.

Amazingly I find this to be somewhat true. Even when raised in different batches and introduced as mixed, my breeds often find each other and hang in the backyard. Though they do integrate, they generally hang with their type.

It is most noticeable with those of distinct coloring or features.

LofMc

A crop is a balloon like structure at the front of the chickens breast it will swell and shrink depending on how much food is in it. A chickens breast is its pectoral muscles. ;)
Not exactly a myth, but - what's the difference between a crop and a breast? I consider the front-middle of a chicken to be a crop, but I know that in reality the crop isn't as big as it feels (well, at least when it's semi-empty.) Please explain this to me!

Human beings are the same way. ;) Our organs are generally all on one side but some people have theirs mirrored - a condition that largely goes unnoticed and undiagnosed.
My brother's heart is positioned slightly right of his breastbone, instead of left, where human hearts are "supposed" to be located. My mother claims it's because she was in a car accident when she was expecting him.

An old timer told me that if you rub butter on an egg it won't hatch :confused:

The same old timer told me that on the first day of spring an egg will stand on its pointy side :lau We tried that and to no avail. :lol:

Rubbing oil on an egg, would block the pores, no? there needs to be an exchange of oxygen / co for the embryo to use and for the aircell to grow - for that reason, I'd say that is actually true.. :)

Rubbing oil on an egg, would block the pores, no? there needs to be an exchange of oxygen / co for the embryo to use and for the aircell to grow - for that reason, I'd say that is actually true.. :)
That's how some places control Canada Goose populations, by oiling the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom