Topic of the week - Chicken run management

Pics
I wholly agree with SNJChickens...if you enjoy raising chickens, manure removal should not be seen as a chore. They give you enjoyment and nourishment and in return you give them a life that makes their stay in your protection a little more enjoyable. For that reason and more, I've stopped counting costs and just look forward to the arrival of more eggs.

As for my run, it's more than substantial for 18 birds. At 500 ft2, that's more than 25 ft2/bird; I feel I could add more birds comfortably but also am looking at adding more run space, perhaps another 500 ft2. Lately, I have gone back on my word and free-ranged them, as I've noticed when cooped up exclusively in the run, they sure do go through the grain, even with supplements.

My run is under a canopy of trees-mixed deciduous and coniferous-and the soil is therefore forest soil. Fortunately, the area drains into sand and gravel so standing water doesn't last long. Still, there is a muddy, low spot which I have since filled in with sand.

I have used pine shavings inside and with a dedicated poop board, I have luckily been able to keep the rest of the coop poop-free. I would like to use hay in the nest boxes but in the main body of the coop, my doors are too low to the floor to make hay a viable option. I would have definitely built my doors several inches more off the floor if I had it to do again. I may put some hay in the run from time to time.

Following some peoples' advice here at BYC, I am adding 18" of hardware cloth as a skirt, extending up the bottom of the existing wire fence 6" and 12" flat on the ground, buried under 1-2" of gravel. It may not be enough protection but we are always home and I lock them in at night. I may also add a deer netting ceiling to the run as time allows.

Back to my original point, I feel any additional space in either coop or run will only improve my chickens' lives-and our enjoyment of them, particularly that of my nearly 3-yr-old daughter. I feel it's almost as easy to build a 8 X 12' structure as it is a 6' X 6' for example-so if you're considering a larger flock and have the funds, it's worth it in my mind to build a little bigger. My 8 X 8' coop got very small very fast with poop board, roost, feed can, etc.

Good luck and have fun.

I read on BYC that grass clipping can be dangerous for chickens. May cause sour croup? I would love to throw mine in the run but I'm scared to do it.

I know what you mean about trying to ignore the costs. I could buy eggs for the rest of my life for what i've spent on my coop. But my girls deserve the best because they give me their best.

Hi Sunnypj

I saw this idea of yours and the next day, well evening (all day project) had 100 feet of Chunnel in my yard. The girls LOVE it. Thanks so much for sharing. 2 questions for you - did you use the kite string to help the tunnels keep there shape. I didn't use string rather just zip ties. They seem to be holding up, well at least until my 220lb mastiff tripped and fell on a section and smushed it! However I'll add string if it seems to add an additional benefit. Also how do your tubes hold up in the snow - or do you put them away for snow fall. I'm in Maryland so we don't get a ton of snow but occasionally get hit with a doozie! Thanks again!!!

Hi Sunnypj

I saw this idea of yours and the next day, well evening (all day project) had 100 feet of Chunnel in my yard. The girls LOVE it. Thanks so much for sharing. 2 questions for you - did you use the kite string to help the tunnels keep there shape. I didn't use string rather just zip ties. They seem to be holding up, well at least until my 220lb mastiff tripped and fell on a section and smushed it! However I'll add string if it seems to add an additional benefit. Also how do your tubes hold up in the snow - or do you put them away for snow fall. I'm in Maryland so we don't get a ton of snow but occasionally get hit with a doozie! Thanks again!!!
Hi, glad your girls love it. I was amazed at how much they seem to like the tunnels and I keep wanting to add to the footage since I started out with a smaller roll of fencing. Zip ties will work, I just used what I had and since I kept the tunnels to smaller sections I had more string than zip ties. The fence kept rolling up on me so all of my sections are 3ft long instead of unrolling the entire length and rolling up one long tube. Even after the tubes get smooshed you can just bend them back out. I am in Michigan and we get snow, so far no problem with them holding up, just have to make sure you don't leave them in place and have them freeze to the ground.
My biggest challenge was making corners or bends. Those I just made by putting two tubes close together and putting the curtain hooks or ties, whatever you have on one side and then the other I used a small section of chicken wire and just kind of patched it around the opening. Since it is only for the day and then take it off to move them around to fresh grass.

Admit it... you laughed when the first chicken started running through the tube! You can't help but laugh and I still catch myself thinking I have a loose chicken when I look out because the fence it difficult to see from a distance. We had a roof being done and the workers sat on the roof looking down at the chickens running through the tubes and laughed like crazy.

Thank you for getting back to me! Yes I laughed when they first discovered the tubes. They literally pushed their way through - I was doing the last part cutting open the wire from the run to the Chunnel and they pushed by me to get in even before I had it secure. I am addicted to these tubes now as my run is mainly in the shade and this gives them access to sunny spots wherever I position the tubes. I ended up using 4 foot 2x3 16 gauge welded wire so all my sections are 4 feet connections. I love the flexibility. I am going to try lobster clamps on the sections I anticipate reconfiguring from time to time. The shower rings at the hardware store looked flimsy so when I was looking for other ones online I ran across the lobster claw clasps. So I'll give it a try. I included the link below if you are interested - not sure if they will be to small, but I can always get bigger ones. For now everything is zip tied so I won't move it for a few days. However the majority of the tubes will stay along the fence line and I'll add loops and such from the main run. Sorry to go on, it's just so cool. Thanks again and keep us posted if you make enhancements. I'll post some pics of my tubes tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7BEY82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for getting back to me! Yes I laughed when they first discovered the tubes. They literally pushed their way through - I was doing the last part cutting open the wire from the run to the Chunnel and they pushed by me to get in even before I had it secure. I am addicted to these tubes now as my run is mainly in the shade and this gives them access to sunny spots wherever I position the tubes. I ended up using 4 foot 2x3 16 gauge welded wire so all my sections are 4 feet connections. I love the flexibility. I am going to try lobster clamps on the sections I anticipate reconfiguring from time to time. The shower rings at the hardware store looked flimsy so when I was looking for other ones online I ran across the lobster claw clasps. So I'll give it a try. I included the link below if you are interested - not sure if they will be to small, but I can always get bigger ones. For now everything is zip tied so I won't move it for a few days. However the majority of the tubes will stay along the fence line and I'll add loops and such from the main run. Sorry to go on, it's just so cool. Thanks again and keep us posted if you make enhancements. I'll post some pics of my tubes tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7BEY82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I knew it! I still laugh every time... I used the metal shower curtain rings because they were cheap enough for a pack of 12, 97 cents I think. I just use a few of them at each section I am putting together and since they do clamp close I wasn't too worried. I stretch them across a couple of the wires to make it kind of tight but loose enough for flexibility. Since I sometimes leave the hooks on and move the tunnels they could end up on the bottom and it doesn't seem to hurt the chickens to step on them. I wanted just a quick cheap option but whatever works, glad you found something different.

I think the shower rings are great - the hardware store I went to only had those cheapo plastic ones. I did get some additional metal ones today. Can't have too many - I imagine I'll use both kinds I have to change the configurations, probably daily. I think I like tube watching as much as the girls like tube walking
1f60a.png

Here are some pics. Stage one - I'll continue adding until my husband cuts me off !

My lovely tube smusher and chicken lover - he adores the girls, not like food adore but friends adore
1f642.png

A loop off the main run

The main run

Connection to run

I think the shower rings are great - the hardware store I went to only had those cheapo plastic ones. I did get some additional metal ones today. Can't have too many - I imagine I'll use both kinds I have to change the configurations, probably daily. I think I like tube watching as much as the girls like tube walking
1f60a.png

Here are some pics. Stage one - I'll continue adding until my husband cuts me off !

My lovely tube smusher and chicken lover - he adores the girls, not like food adore but friends adore
1f642.png

A loop off the main run

The main run

Connection to run
Great job! Thanks for sharing the pics. love the tube smusher- he looks so guilty!
I don't have a fence to run mine against so they run right across the back yard. If I don't connect a lot of pieces then my husband tells me I should have connected more because the chickens like the long runs... ha ha like he speaks chicken now.

have fun.

Back
Top Bottom