Topic of the Week - Coop Heating and Fire Safety

Trench it and it will come... Use direct bury wire with no splices, leave the ends for DH to connect

Ordinarily, I would have done this, and almost always it works great, but the last time I used direct trench UF Romex cable I had a problem with some kind of rodent, chipmunk or squirrel chewing the coating off where it came out of the ground. There was no charred body laying about, so it got away with it. Anyway, I was worried about a fire or electrocution hazard at the coop should that happen again, so I ran it this time using Ultratite Liquidtight non-metallic pvc conduit all the way to the GFI outlet. It added $40 and an hour to the project but worth it for the peace of mind.

I was wondering about this as well, heating or not. Again, we have a cold snap here in upstate NY. Last night was 16 and tomorrow night is supposed to be 9. I have 6 chickens, 3 easter eggers and 3 ameraucanas, supposedly cold hardy breeds. Their coop is pretty tight from drafts and insulated with 1" foam insulation covered in hard board so they don't peck it. Also, plenty ventilation, my hydrometer nearly always reads the same moisture inside as it is outside. I just put plastic around the run, but they really don't want to go outside today. high of 23 today. I have one of the flat panel heaters and used it last night. When the temperature was 16, the coop inside was 22.

Just like all new chicken owners, I an concerned the they aren't old enough to be hardy yet. They are just over 5 months. Fully feathered, very healthy. What do people think? Is that old enough for these temperatures? I put a temp enclosure in my basement in case I check the chicken cam (I have a cam in the coop) and see them all huddled on the ground in the corner.

Just like all new chicken owners, I an concerned the they aren't old enough to be hardy yet. They are just over 5 months. Fully feathered, very healthy. What do people think? Is that old enough for these temperatures? I put a temp enclosure in my basement in case I check the chicken cam (I have a cam in the coop) and see them all huddled on the ground in the corner.
They're old enough. Wasting energy running that heater, IMO,(but I understand the concern, first winter is hard on our brains) wait until it gets down to 0F. Don't jump the gun on behavior that makes you think they are too cold, it takes some experience to know when a bird is truly in distress. Bringing them inside introduces a whole other can of worms with getting them back out without shocking them due to temp differences. I test for distress(both winter and summer) by tossing down some scratch, if they don't go for it, might be time to intervene.

I just put plastic around the run, but they really don't want to go outside today.
They might be a bit freaked by the plastic...anything new, SMH. Try enticing them out with some scratch grains or treats....or toss them out there, they'll get over it. :D

I have a softspot for Woodstock, and Hudson Valley in general, spent summers near there in my teens.

They're old enough. Wasting energy running that heater, IMO,(but I understand the concern, first winter is hard on our brains) wait until it gets down to 0F. Don't jump the gun on behavior that makes you think they are too cold, it takes some experience to know when a bird is truly in distress. Bringing them inside introduces a whole other can of worms with getting them back out without shocking them due to temp differences. I test for distress(both winter and summer) by tossing down some scratch, if they don't go for it, might be time to intervene.

They might be a bit freaked by the plastic...anything new, SMH. Try enticing them out with some scratch grains or treats....or toss them out there, they'll get over it. :D

I have a softspot for Woodstock, and Hudson Valley in general, spent summers near there in my teens.
Excellent advice, as always. :thumbsup

Let your chickens go through the process of acclamation. Shivering is normal during it. Think with your head and not your heart. They will be fine.

Just coaxed them out with treats and it was going great until the wind blew and ruffled the plastic. A hen gave a warning and they all ran into the coop. It’ll help tremendously with the wind we are having though. They’ve ventured in and out a few times now.

And Woodstock is pretty wonderful, thanks. Haven’t explored too much of the rest of the Hudson valley yet, too busy fixing this house. Nice area tho.

Just coaxed them out with treats and it was going great until the wind blew and ruffled the plastic. A hen gave a warning and they all ran into the coop. It’ll help tremendously with the wind we are having though. They’ve ventured in and out a few times now.
Ha! They'll get used to it.

I don’t want to get too far off subject but I guess this does fit In the realm of heating... feed your birds a mix of cracked corn mixed in with your regular feed, corn will create heat in them which will help them stay warm, in the winter months I feed my birds cooked eggs “cause they lay 18 a Day” mixed with oatmeal. They go crazy over it, high protein and that will promote warmth with the feed. My birds don’t stop laying eggs in the winter. They are like machines. My coop is not drafty and with the water issue, I don’t heat my water as well. I put snow in their water dish and they eat that for water, my whole life growing up on the farm we have done this and now that I got my own farm I do it too. Oats, cracked corn, regular feed and eggs and oatmeal for treats! Your birds will be happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom