Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

I had not wormed my chickens in 3 years mainly because they act healthy and the plant, wormwood, grows wild in their pasture. Lately, I have seen some roundworms in my poop inspections, so am in the process of worming everyone with Valbazen. It is a big process on over 100 chickens, but hopefully it will take the count down to zero for a while. Second dose due Wednesday.

They have started eating like there is no tomorrow. IDK, if it is the cooler weather, the decrease in worms or that they are molting.
So if the plant "wormwood" was an effective de-wormer, why would you be seeing large roundworms? Glad you are able to treat the flock with Valbazen, I know that is a *huge* task.

Last edited:
(nematodes)
  • Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
  • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
  • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
  • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
  • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
  • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
  • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
  • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
Tapeworms (cestodes)

• Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
  • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
  • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)

• Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
Source:http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933

Large roundworm (Ascaridia spp) poop confirmed by fecal floataion:

Large roundworms (Ascaridia spp):

Cecal worms (Heterakis spp)

Last edited:
There is a possible third option which is to have regular faecal worm egg counts done and use medication (wormer) when the results indicate their worm burdon is becoming too high, in much the same way as I do for my horses. The lab that does my horse faecal samples now offers the same service for poultry I believe.

...................... rest of post deleted ......................
Or a fourth option, do fecals at home!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1047614/doing-fecal-floats-at-home

I had not wormed my chickens in 3 years mainly because they act healthy and the plant, wormwood, grows wild in their pasture. Lately, I have seen some roundworms in my poop inspections, so am in the process of worming everyone with Valbazen. It is a big process on over 100 chickens, but hopefully it will take the count down to zero for a while. Second dose due Wednesday.

They have started eating like there is no tomorrow. IDK, if it is the cooler weather, the decrease in worms or that they are molting.

So if the plant "wormwood" was an effective de-wormer, why would you be seeing large roundworms? Glad you are able to treat the flock with Valbazen, I know that is a *huge* task.

-Kathy

Kathy
According to this logic
If the chemical Deworming is SO good and effective way you should repeat it?
IMO
There are 2 levels to adress the issue
1. The most important is prevention and that is achieved by
.good management
.reducing crowded coups
. Reducing stress
. Using natural antihelmintic products as PREVENTERS
Like wormwood and hot paprika.
All this should help the chickens immune system cotrol the LOAD OF WORMS ( chiken will ALWAYES have them)
2. When the immune system fail to control the worm load than you should use Kathy most favorites chemicals Deworming

Quote: This one had large roundworms:

As did this one. Also note the intestinal lining, which was abnormal for this chicken.

Before I smeared this it was a normal looking cecal poop. Arrow points to cecal worm.

Here are tape segments:

-Kathy

@Sally Sunshine

Last edited:
Quote: Kathy
According to this logic
If the chemical Deworming is SO good and effective way you should repeat it?

Because you can't give wormer 365 days a year.
big_smile.png

IMO
There are 2 levels to adress the issue
1. The most important is prevention and that is achieved by
.good management
Agree
.reducing crowded coups
Agree
. Reducing stress
Agree

. Using natural antihelmintic products as PREVENTERS
Like wormwood and hot paprika.
Still waiting to see the studies that show how effective they are.
pop.gif

All this should help the chickens immune system cotrol the LOAD OF WORMS ( chiken will ALWAYES have them)
2. When the immune system fail to control the worm load than you should use Kathy most favorites chemicals Deworming
You're funny!
-Kathy

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom