Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

Pics
Natural Wormers... is not a case of treating when worms are present a case of many who get worms in their chook or any animal and then try and treat. Using natural methods is prevention so worms do not turn up to infest. I personally use a natural combination with success. Offer sulphur in their diet all the time, i use here in aus a product called extra sulphur, a mineral based supplement that they can eat and dust in which also prevents lice. I also use oils, combination of oregano, rosemary and coconut.

Welcome to BYC!

No harm in giving supplements that are safe for use in poultry. :D

-Kathy

I'm learning from the ecological approach to controlling parasites that is becoming popular for grazing animals.

See this link for a good summary for hobby farmers goo.gl/pXY5c1

The idea is that your animals will never be parasite-free unless you keep them in a box and only feed them cooked things (oh - like we do when raising chicks*).
Healthy animals' immune systems will keep parasites in check.

Here are the recommendations - many are opposite of worming lore

-don't worm on a schedule
-don't move recently dewormed birds onto clean ground
-don't proactively worm (for example, don't dose all broody hens)
-don't treat the whole flock when one bird has a heavy parasite infection
-don't give a second dose 10 days dose after the first one
-don't rotate wormers - keep using the same one until it fails

-do feed a nutritious diet
-do include greens with tannins (oregano is popular)
-do change the environment to reduce social stress
-do watch for signs of infection especially in the spring/summer when parasite populations are high

I'm trying to adopt these methods.
Anyone else brave enough to try?

*no wonder chicks often have problems (worms, coccidiosis) when
move from wire onto the ground.

Good luck to all

Last edited:
So I am going to deworming my flock of 40 tomorrow. Is it better to deworm them on an empty stomach (in the morning prior to eating) or in the evening after they have eaten all day long?

I wonder why no one does studies on the effectivness of natural wormers?
Because there's no benefit to the commercial poultry industry. If you research anything and look for scientific studies - all are to increase egg laying or meat production.

Yep, there's no money or benefit to researchers to pursue health issues to backyard flocks:(

I dont use chemicals, but as I have mentioned in a post, worming naturally is not waiting for the presents of worms and treating, it is an on going day to day process of prevention. I use a mineral supplement here, I am in Australia, which is called Extra Sulphur which I have in a small dish for the hens to peck at, and I have it in a dusting dish which the hens can dust in. The build up in their diet, helps prevent worms; in saying this if the whether is wrong and damp and moist and yuk you have to be mindful its high risk. There is also an oil base wormer combinations I have started using recently for my goats, which is also safe for chickens. Its a combination of Rosemary, Oregano and Coconut oil, but again, its not something you give when you see worms, its something you give often so that worms do not appear.

If you have worms a natural method of treatment, I am yet to know. To naturally keep you chooks free of worms so that you do not need to use chemicals, you need to have a preventative natural build up in their diet.

Because there's no benefit to the commercial poultry industry.  If you research anything and look for scientific studies - all are to increase egg laying or meat production.

Yep, there's no money or benefit to researchers to pursue health issues to backyard flocks:(

It sure makes it hard for those of us that want to keep our birds healthy naturally. Guess i will just have to keep up with preventative measures and hope my gals never get an overload.

I wonder why no one does studies on the effectivness of natural wormers? 

Because there's no benefit to the commercial poultry industry.  If you research anything and look for scientific studies - all are to increase egg laying or meat production.

With the interest in "natural" eggs and meat, surely the poultry industry would benefit. Worm free laying hens will lay more eggs, and worm free meat birds will be heavier, yes?

-Kathy

I have used DE on all my horses hogs dogs cats for the last five years I use red lake brand,after 30 years farming my livestock have never looked better.
I mix it in chicken feed also.
Don't know if it works on them or not,they all look nice and shiny,but it is also loaded with beneficial minerals,DE is the one thing I am never without on my farm.
Even saved my potato crop last year from potato beetles

I have laying hens 6 months old and a younger batch coming up. This isn't my 1st rodeo however I had hen for 4 years & decided to start afresh as they had slowed down & I gave that batch to a newbie.
I sell my eggs to friends requiring natual foods due to variosu health problems....also why I got them for my fam in the 1st place.
I use cider vinegar in the water DE in the food as well as spreading liberaly in run & coop while using the deep litter method & dusting their fannies well.
I have never had any sign of worms of any kind.
I will be adding pumpkin seeds for good measure....any other sugestions for those of us steering away from meds?
Thanx

Back
Top Bottom