Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

Pics
I had a morkie (half yorkie half maltese) that would chase the chickens so instead of fighting it I taught him to herd them to the run but he knew that he wasn't allowed to enter the run he would only do it when I said ok lets round up the chickens I think he thought it was his job and it made him feel proud

Hi Kathy - yes I live in Ireland - in Dublin in fact. I have heard the name Flubenvet before but really don't know anything about it. Does it work on gapeworm? Can it be given some way other than orally by syringe? My hens are all confined to their run at the moment, and today was day 3 of dosing with Panacur. Do you think there is no particular point in keeping them in the run...I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to be out around the garden! By the way - have you or anybody else ever heard of bantams such as light sussex (or similar sized poultry) being predated by domestic cats? There has been a cat visiting the garden in the last couple of days who looks a bit too interested in my hens!! Thanks.

I sent you a PM by the way either yesterday or day before...but don't know if you got it. I thought the message was so long with quite a few questions etc. it might be better to send it direct rather than putting it on this thread.

Hi Kathy - yes I live in Ireland - in Dublin in fact.  I have heard the name Flubenvet before but really don't know anything about it.  Does it work on gapeworm?  Can it be given some way other than orally by syringe?  My hens are all confined to their run at the moment, and today was day 3 of dosing with Panacur.  Do you think there is no particular point in keeping them in the run...I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to be out around the garden!  By the way - have you or anybody else ever heard of bantams such as light sussex (or similar sized poultry) being predated by domestic cats?  There has been a cat visiting the garden in the last couple of days who looks a bit too interested in my hens!!  Thanks.

AFAIK light Sussex are a dual purpose large fowl. I could see domestic cats trying a slower actual bantam, like perhaps a D'Uccle. My large fowl (RIR, br, ee) don't hesitate to give cats the stink eye and surround them or run them off. Most of my Bantams such as old English game Bantams are flighty and alert. It partly comes down to the cat and how determined it is.

Thanks for that info. My Light Sussex are the bantam version of the large fowl I think. Definitely bigger than say Dutch bantams, but smaller than a full sized Light Sussex! I'd say they can fly a little bit, but nothing like the bantams we had when I was a child, which could fly up to an upstairs window in a two storey house.

I sent you a PM by the way either yesterday or day before...but don't know if you got it.  I thought the message was so long with quite a few questions etc. it might be better to send it direct rather than putting it on this thread.

I did get your message, but have been on the iPad which is hard to do proper replies from. :(

-Kathy

Hi Kathy - yes I live in Ireland - in Dublin in fact.  I have heard the name Flubenvet before but really don't know anything about it.  Does it work on gapeworm?  Can it be given some way other than orally by syringe?  My hens are all confined to their run at the moment, and today was day 3 of dosing with Panacur.  Do you think there is no particular point in keeping them in the run...I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to be out around the garden!  By the way - have you or anybody else ever heard of bantams such as light sussex (or similar sized poultry) being predated by domestic cats?  There has been a cat visiting the garden in the last couple of days who looks a bit too interested in my hens!!  Thanks.

Flubenvet is a wormer you put in feed. It's in the same class as Panacur, Safeguard, and Valbazen, so it should be effective on the same worms if the proper amount is given.

-Kathy

Thanks for that info.  My Light Sussex are the bantam version of the large fowl I think.  Definitely bigger than say Dutch bantams, but smaller than a full sized Light Sussex! I'd say they can fly a little bit, but nothing like the bantams we had when I was a child, which could fly up to an upstairs window in a two storey house.​

I didn't know they come in bantam form. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom