Topic of the Week - Feeding Chickens - What to feed and when?

Pics
Thanks for the ideas. I think I will just try the 22% game bird mix. Seems easier. I think the cat food idea will be great this winter when its really cold here in the north. Right now, my predator of the day is cats. Like about 2 or 3 every night!

- Medicated or non-medicated feed?

I believe it does not matter. Out here in the forgotten provinces where there are few choices where to buy feed, often the store doesn't have what I need at any given time. I've fed both medicated and unmedicated chick feed, and never had any problems. I've been thinking that if you can only find unmedicated starter and you really want medicated, why not just mix some amprolium (Corid) at the preventative dose in the chicks' water? Seems it would accomplish the same thing.

I've fed simple all-flock feed (Purina Flock Raiser) to baby chicks, too, and they did just fine. (Again, the forgotten provinces thing.)

- When do you switch from chick crumbs to grower and layer feed?

I get the smallest bag of chick crumbles and when it runs out, the chicks get whatever the big kids are eating.

- Is it o.k. to feed older birds chick food, cockbirds layer feed, etc?

I've bought the chick starter when my feed store was all out of the all-flock feed. (Forgotten provinces). It's really not much different. In fact, a lot of folks like chick starter for fermenting feed for their general flock.

I do not feed layer feed to any of my flock. I've run a taste test on my girls and they hate layer. Yuk, they say, we won't eat it. They prefer all-flock feed. The added calcium is a problem for my older, "retired" layers, and it's not good for the rooster, and it's not good for the pre-laying pullets, either. I recommend everyone but commercial egg producers just avoid it all together.

Unless you have a young flock of only laying hens and will be culling them before you get baby chicks, and if you don't keep roosters, using an all-flock feed is far more practical than juggling the different feeds in a mixed flock.

- Thoughts on organic feed?

Over-hyped. But if you can find it and afford it, go for it! Out here in the forgotten provinces, I have never seen it.

- When do you start feeding treats and how much and often do you give these?

Immediately. My baby chicks are brooded on sand outdoors in the run. They gobble grit their first two days, pack their little crops, and I feed meal worms practically from the first day I get them. That's how to bond with your chicks, by the way.

Treats are doled out sparingly. I've noticed that baby chicks won't tackle foods they aren't ready for. Chick food should be 99% of what they eat in their first few months.

- Do you make/mix your own home-made feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?

No, I don't have the time.

- Who uses fermented feed and what are your thoughts on that?

I'm a big believer in fermenting feed. I've been feeding FF for several years now, and the results in my flock are astonishing. I ferment the feed I give to baby chicks. They take right to it.

However, dry crumbles sprinkled over the ground will "train" a baby chick to begin eating. They seem to have an instinct to find their food on the ground at first, and a broody hen has an easier time getting her chicks to start eating if I do this.

But the chicks are eating fermented feed by the end of their first week, no problem. I generally use very small cups for this so they don't go swimming and frolicking in their food, as is their inclination.
Great reply! Very informative and “real”.

Back
Top Bottom