Topic of the Week - Feeding table scraps to your flock

I am new at keeping chickens. I have given them frozen fruit and vegetables in a block of ice during the heat last few weeks. I also give them zucchini cucumbers cantaloupe whatever is extra from the garden. They love corn on the cob. They have had scrambled eggs and cooked potatoes left over from breakfasts. I haven't tried dairy or bread. They seem to love it all except radishes.

One topic that is commonly discussed when it comes to feeding and watering your flock, is what table scraps can you feed your flock? So we thought we'd ask everyone to come and give your perspective and answers to this topic. What all should and shouldn't you feed your flock? Please tell us your thoughts and practices when it comes to this weeks topic.

How much of the table scraps can your feed your flock at a time?

What all table scraps should and shouldn't you feed your flock?

How often should you give your flock table scraps.

Don't feed them onions, they're bad for them!

I am new as well...  I haven't tried any meat products other than meal worms so far...  They go crazy over salad (tomatoes, cukes, lettuces and finally onions.  They turned their noses up on Corn on the cob and they only seem interested in the most tender parts of a cabbage, no outer leaves--but I continue to experiment.  As with one of the other posts, not planning on letting them try poultry meat.  If and when they give me enough eggs to share, I plan on giving them a shot at scrambled eggs with cheese and mushrooms.  I still have a LOT to learn...

I feed my flock table scraps.
I feed how ever much is available, and they self-regulate.
The only things I do not feed are onions, potatoes, and excessively mouldy food.

Hi all... KelBoMorrison here and we have a question.
Katy,on the right is a two week old full blooded Transylvania Naked neck. Turtle on the left is two days old. He hatched out Friday morning and his neck not naked...I'm just wondering why...and how is his neck not naked...he looks like he's gona have a mane... Any help would be great...hes healthy running playing.
Thanks a lot.

TeamKelBoMorrison...

Hi all... KelBoMorrison here and we have a question.
Katy,on the right is a two week old full blooded Transylvania Naked neck. Turtle on the left is two days old. He hatched out Friday morning and his neck not naked...I'm just wondering why...and how is his neck not naked...he looks like he's gona have a mane... Any help would be great...hes healthy running playing.
Thanks a lot.

TeamKelBoMorrison...

And by the way...there's no chance of any cross breeding. Fred and Miss Redd are grown and they are the only ones we have that are grown...

TeamKelBoMorrison

The only thing mine WON'T eat is celery and bananas. Otherwise everything is on the menu.

Some of you have mentioned that you give them eggshells. I was told to only give them THEIR eggshells - and absolutely nothing from the store. Can anyone explain why this is?

Back
Top Bottom