Topic of the Week - Feeding table scraps to your flock

Pics
I even give ours the bones from hunting season to go and eat what ey can so it don't go to waste and the protein helps keep them warmer in the winter after deer season,

I was fortunate enough to afford a KitchenAid stand mixer last year (not used yet) with all the pasta attachments, spiralizer and food processor which is very versatile. That food processor would be perfect for dicing/slicing veggies and what not into small edible pieces for the girls. My hands already hurt from typing and playing piano/organ for the last 49 years. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

My 15 girls live behind my country store. We sell sharp cheddar cheese by the block, but sometimes it gets a bit moldy or dry. And so... The hens love it and fight for it, any doubt about pecking order vanishes as they sort out who gets what. They love their cheese, but then again they love everything.

Not too long ago I printed a five page listing from a link that I found on Backyard Chickens that gives a great list of do's and don'ts - and I read it often when I'm not sure what is safe and what isn't. The scraps I give my three girls is mostly raw vegetable scraps, but not corn while the weather is still warm because corn raises their body temp and they're already hot footed fowl. OK for winter to create inner heat for them. I will take a raw egg, mix in a handful of rolled oats and a scoop of their pulverized eggshell and cook scrambled eggs. They love it and it gives them extra nutrition. I don't buy oyster shell because their own shells run through the blender to almost a powder is best for them as it gives them back their own calcium. When I sprinkle it on their pellets in their feeder, they seem to enjoy picking it out. Another favorite is watermelon - tomatoes and anything red. Do try to find the link listing the do's / don'ts in Backyard Chickens site.

My 15 girls live behind my country store.  We sell sharp cheddar cheese by the block, but sometimes it gets a bit moldy or dry.  And so...  The hens love it and fight for it, any doubt about pecking order vanishes as they sort out who gets what.  They love their cheese, but then again they love everything.

I've never given mine cheese I didn't know if it would constipate them.

Ready made egg and cheese omelet in the shell --
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom