Topic of the week - Free Ranging

Pics
I am so sorry for your loss. That is so hard when you have pets (and these chicks get to be pets quickly) that get killed by predators.
Hope that is the last of your losses for a long long time. We have raccoons around here and my neighbor who also free ranges at times, had an attack last summer on one of hers. There is also a Bobcat around here right now and I watch our babies like a hawk when they are out.

that is awesome! and a really great idea for the bunnies to be able to get away when they want
smile.png

I am in the process of introducing my duck to my group of chickens. my duck likes all of them BUT one! lol

thanks for sharing!

Awesome thread! We have 5 girls just headed out to the their coop. 3 Australops and 2 Easter Eggers. I am on .75 of an acre with lots of open and vegetative areas. No fence or barrier between me and my absolutely CRAZY neighbor. She would call the police (o worse) if a chicken went on her land. A hawk lives way out back by the creek (which is why I have black Australops).

I would love to free range. But how do I keep them on my property, only? Our front yard is enclosed, but that's were the son plays ball, barefoot. The back would be great for them if I can figure out how to keep them on our property.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Awesome thread! We have 5 girls just headed out to the their coop. 3 Australops and 2 Easter Eggers. I am on .75 of an acre with lots of open and vegetative areas. No fence or barrier between me and my absolutely CRAZY neighbor. She would call the police (o worse) if a chicken went on her land. A hawk lives way out back by the creek (which is why I have black Australops).

I would love to free range. But how do I keep them on my property, only? Our front yard is enclosed, but that's were the son plays ball, barefoot. The back would be great for them if I can figure out how to keep them on our property.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
I have half an acre fenced in for my dogs and chickens - a 3.5' fence surrounds the entire backyard, but they all seem to still get out when they want to. The chickens don't wander far, but it's called "free ranging" cause they have a choice of where they want to go. I've heard of some free ranging for several hundred yards. But they will always come back to the coop at night, or for water, food, shelter, treats, etc.

If given the choice (and space) many of us prefer to free range our flocks, but there are pros and cons to this practice. This week I would like to hear you all's thoughts on free ranging and what you did to overcome the potential problems arising. Specifically:

- What pros and cons have you experienced when deciding to free range your flock?
- How do you keep your flock safe when out roaming?
- How do you ensure hens lay their eggs in the coop, instead of the garden/anywhere else they deem suitable?
- How do you train new rangers to return to the coop at night?

View attachment 2878809

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
What I've always done is just taken an hour in the morning and an hour at night to free-range and watch over them, before putting them back in their pen. This way, they get their fresh air and grass and bugs, but I don't risk any danger of a predator getting them or losing them

i live in a neighborhood, but still let my girls run after work. This is usually only hour or so as it gets dark, but it is enough to keep them happy. They stay mostly in my backyard and put themselves to bed if I leave the coop open.

Back
Top Bottom