Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock

Pics
I followed @aart 's advide with my last batch (though much simpler) and it was very easy. I had one bloody head incident, but they could have killed the baby instead of just pecking it, and they didn't. I've got some babies in the incubator right now and I can't brood them out in the coop, we're getting down to 10-12F at night. So we're going to have to go this route again at around 4 weeks.

They stayed two seperate groups until about half of the new ones died for various reasons though, and then the flocks blended.

I think I'm just going to get some wire panel with 4x4 inch holes and block off a bit of the coop. The babies can fit right through the panel, and the adults cannot. It's a good bit easier than the doors and portals system.

Last edited:
How old should chicks be when they are integrated into an adult flock?
I do it when they're older than 6 weeks old. But it really depends on their size and if they're fully feathered.

Are they too small to be integrated? Do they need to be a similar size to the older chickens?
I don't have many problems with integrating 7 week olds who are half the size of my chickens.

What is the best way to introduce chicks to the rest of the flock?
(I allow them to free range together throughout the whole time)
Enclosure inside the coop for 1 to 2 weeks
outdoor enclosure during the day and indoor one at night for 2 to 5 weeks.
Then free them (preferably while free ranging) under supervision, and watch them when they're locked up in the run together too.
you can keep them in the indoor enclosure at night for another week, or just let them all in the coop together at night. Sit outside the coop for 5-10 minutes and listen.

What / how do you feed a flock of mixed ages after integration?
I have a mixed flock feed, so it's easy for me, but I sometimes mix the growers feed or chick crumb into the feed for a few weeks so the younglings get used to it.

Last edited:
How old should chicks be when they are integrated into an adult flock?
I do it when they're older than 6 weeks old. But it really depends on their size and if they're fully feathered.

Are they too small to be integrated? Do they need to be a similar size to the older chickens?
I don't have many problems with integrating 7 week olds who are half the size of my chickens.

What is the best way to introduce chicks to the rest of the flock?
(I allow them to free range together throughout the whole time)
Enclosure inside the coop for 1 to 2 weeks
outdoor enclosure during the day and indoor one at night for 2 to 5 weeks.
Then free them (preferably while free ranging) under supervision, and watch them when they're locked up in the run together too.
you can keep them in the indoor enclosure at night for another week, or just let them all in the coop together at night. Sit outside the coop for 5-10 minutes and listen.

What / how do you feed a flock of mixed ages after integration?
I have a mixed flock feed, so it's east for me, but I sometimes mix the growers feed or chick crumb into the feed.
I'm always cautious, because I have a grumpy hen (who hates chicks) and a half blind rooster. They're not great with chicks. I can always trust Blue with new chicks though.

Kind of a non related question but.
It is mentioned in here that you should not feed the kids layer feed until they are laying because the extra calcium can cause damage to organs.

What about in the wintertime when your girls are taking a break from laying for a month or so? Should you back off the layer feed too for all of them or what? Because of excess calcium if they are not laying?

Thanks
Aaron

Kind of a non related question but.
It is mentioned in here that you should not feed the kids layer feed until they are laying because the extra calcium can cause damage to organs.

What about in the wintertime when your girls are taking a break from laying for a month or so? Should you back off the layer feed too for all of them or what? Because of excess calcium if they are not laying?

Thanks
Aaron
I feed an 'all flock' from hatch to harvest.
OS is in a separate feeder for the active layers.

What do you do when you have acquired a mixed flock of "pullets" ranging in age 12-20 months of age and they all get along. One month later you realize you have to cull 5 roos and replace them with new pullets. How do you integrate the new ones with the remaining 2.
Maybe you could keep the cull ones in a separate pen so they never have children. Just a suggestion that came to mind!

Perhaps not 100% helpful to all - but regularly add enough babies and eventually the flock gives you the collective eye roll like "great, again." It's always a bigger deal in a smaller flock to add anything- now in the big flock with regular additions, it's just another day.

When we started with our first batch ever to integrate when there were 10 original hens and chicks were a novelty to be pecked and make scream, adding something yummy like a flock block those first couple/few days gave the older hens something else to be excited about and actively use their beaks on ... why go after a chick if you have a huge candy bar?

Usually we raise with broody hens- but whether there's a hen or not, the newbies get their own area in the front of the coop for whatever period of time is appropriate. Momma and babies, about 7 days until the chicks get their longer legs. Ironically it's usually the broody hen that causes the biggest initial problem asserting her mother-hen-hood, but that tends to sort out quickly.

Babies alone start in the house in a crate for the first 3-4 days then move to the front of the coop. Then about 3 weeks later, depending on weather and feathering, they get released with the flock, obviously with supervision while I make sure everyone figures out a spot to eat and drink because again, in my flock, it's routine. The biggest drama is always getting chicks back up the ramp into the coop ... with or without the broody hen.

Update: I recently integrated an adult hen. She was separated for 2 days in the run and coop, but then I released her and she was perfectly fine... Although my rooster (who used to dance at her through the fence) mated her 6 times in 30 mins
IMG-20220301-WA0008.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom