Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock

My question is this...what is too aggressive? A couple of my hens have pecked hard enough to pull a couple feathers out of the 4wk old pullets. No blood. They have plenty of escape places and lots of space. They know how to run!

My question is this...what is too aggressive? A couple of my hens have pecked hard enough to pull a couple feathers out of the 4wk old pullets. No blood. They have plenty of escape places and lots of space. They know how to run!
I would say as long as they are not actively seeking them out hunting them, and chasing them down, then I wouldn’t worry.

My silkie was actively hunting them down and wishing to do serious harm to my three chicks, but they are 5.5 was old now and she hasn’t been going after them the past few days. They also know to stay away from her.

Mine have been fully integrated with my flock, other than night time roosting, since they were 3 weeks old.

I started when they were about a week old bringing them outside in a small box - they could stay in the box or wander around, I sat on a lawn chair and watched.I did this 2 times a day for about 15 min or so.

By 2 weeks they were zipping around like mad things while I sat on my lawn chair and watched, they were pecked good am hard a few times by the bossy hens, and that is when I noticed my Silkie stalking them. They learnt very fast to stay clear of her.

At 3 weeks they were running around with the flock all day here in the barn and could go out in the run if they wished. I still kept an eye on them, my office is in the barn, so that made it easy.

My little cockerel started crowing at 3.5 weeks and by then they were fully integrated into the flock, everyone pretty much ignored them, including the Roo.

Now at 5.5 weeks they are out and about with the big ones, they even get involved in the scratch grains scrum stealing from the others - they are fast and can fly really well. They have been no trouble integrating with the flock at all, I still need to start getting them used to roosting at night in the hen house, but it’s been extremely cold here and I have been keeping them in their bin in my office. Tomorrow night though they will need to go in the hen house as I have 10, 2 week old chicks coming here on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Now compare my 3 hand raised chicks integration with that of my 2 co-broody silkies and their 4 chicks, well it’s been 3weeks of crazy fighting with my broodies and 2 other hens - driving me nuts!

I can’t trust them alone running with the group as the 2 naughty girls keep picking fights with the broodies.

Today though I noted that everyone seemed to be getting along, and even they broodies and their 3.5 week old chicks were getting involved in the scratch grain scrum same as the 5.5 week old chicks.

Looks like they are also settling in and getting along finally.

One thing I do know is, the sooner you get them out with the groups the better, I learnt this with my horses - foals and mamas were back with the herd as soon as possible. The same with my chickens - I supervise time with the flock as early as possible, and other than roosting time they are out with them as soon as they can run fast enough and are smart enough to hide ❤️
58D5198F-A4A2-45C5-BDB8-3760C4625952.jpeg

I would say as long as they are not actively seeking them out hunting them, and chasing them down, then I wouldn’t worry.

My silkie was actively hunting them down and wishing to do serious harm to my three chicks, but they are 5.5 was old now and she hasn’t been going after them the past few days. They also know to stay away from her.

Mine have been fully integrated with my flock, other than night time roosting, since they were 3 weeks old.

I started when they were about a week old bringing them outside in a small box - they could stay in the box or wander around, I sat on a lawn chair and watched.I did this 2 times a day for about 15 min or so.

By 2 weeks they were zipping around like mad things while I sat on my lawn chair and watched, they were pecked good am hard a few times by the bossy hens, and that is when I noticed my Silkie stalking them. They learnt very fast to stay clear of her.

At 3 weeks they were running around with the flock all day here in the barn and could go out in the run if they wished. I still kept an eye on them my office is not j the barn, so that made it easy.

My little cockerel started crowing at 3.5 weeks and by then they were fully integrated into the flock, everyone pretty much ignored them, including the Roo.

Now at 5.5 weeks they are out and about with the big ones, they even get involved in the scratch grains scrum stealing from the others - they are fast and can fly really well. They have been no trouble integrating with the flock at all, I still need to start getting them used to roosting at night in the hen house, but it’s been extremely cold here and I have been keeping them in their bin in my office. Tomorrow night though they will need to go in the hen house as I have 10, 2 week old chicks coming here on Wednesday.
Two of the hens will chase them if they see them and peck. The chicks were in the coop from 1 wk with thesee but no touch. They've been out with the flock since 3 weeks (in stages) with supervision all the time. I've intervened a couple of times and it does seem better. One yesterday got popped pretty good with a few feathers pulled. She wasn't doing anything but the hen chased her. They still go into their own pen at night and I've never left them totally alone with the hens. I'm guessing the two that are more aggressive will calm down as time goes on?

Two of the hens will chase them if they see them and peck. The chicks were in the coop from 1 wk with thesee but no touch. They've been out with the flock since 3 weeks (in stages) with supervision all the time. I've intervened a couple of times and it does seem better. One yesterday got popped pretty good with a few feathers pulled. She wasn't doing anything but the hen chased her. They still go into their own pen at night and I've never left them totally alone with the hens. I'm guessing the two that are more aggressive will calm down as time goes on?
Ahhhh poor pookies - the way of the chicken can be tough at times.

I know that there is this magical number for amt of chickens per square foot, but that is not really reliable for backyard ‘pet’ chickens. These birds are being kept longer than a factory raised layer / broiler.

Do you have a lot of hiding spots that are easily eacapeable? It can be as simple as a skid leaning against the wall, also straw bales to jump on, fly around and tear apart pecking at grains and scratching the straw bits around.

I know of someone who put an old coffee table in the run, and hung a curtain along the long sides creating a tunnel, and a place to go up on.

Obstacles can create a visual blockade so that bossy ladies aren’t stimulated to go running after the little ones and new ones. I also place multiple feeding bowls and water bowls around and out of line of sight.

My gang roams my barn which has a tonne of places to hide under, fly up on, and run around. It’s also a huge space - and that is key to everything - the amount of space and obstacles to use for hiding and playing.

Ahhhh poor pookies - the way of the chicken can be tough at times.

I know that there is this magical number for amt of chickens per square foot, but that is not really reliable for backyard ‘pet’ chickens. These birds are being kept longer than a factory raised layer / broiler.

Do you have a lot of hiding spots that are easily eacapeable? It can be as simple as a skid leaning against the wall, also straw bales to jump on, fly around and tear apart pecking at grains and scratching the straw bits around.

I know of someone who put an old coffee table in the run, and hung a curtain along the long sides creating a tunnel, and a place to go up on.

Obstacles can create a visual blockade so that bossy ladies aren’t stimulated to go running after the little ones and new ones. I also place multiple feeding bowls and water bowls around and out of line of sight.

My gang roams my barn which has a tonne of places to hide under, fly up on, and run around. It’s also a huge space - and that is key to everything - the amount of space and obstacles to use for hiding and playing.
My coop is 12x16 and then I have a 12x16 run attached with a 10x20 attached to that and then an outside area that's huge that has netting over it like a circus tent...for the hawks.

I think I'll put more obstacles and food/water. With the two hens it does seem that seeing the babies flitting around makes therm chase more. The rest of the hens are mostly indifferent. I have 10 RIR hens and 10 Barred Rock babies.

My coop is 12x16 and then I have a 12x16 run attached with a 10x20 attached to that and then an outside area that's huge that has netting over it like a circus tent...for the hawks.

I think I'll put more obstacles and food/water. With the two hens it does seem that seeing the babies flitting around makes therm chase more. The rest of the hens are mostly indifferent. I have 10 RIR hens and 10 Barred Rock babies.
Oh I do so like a nice Barred Rock :love

20 is a goodly amount for that space, I think that a great idea for more food/water and obstacles. Right now my 3 Tweens like my lawn chair to roost on - I even hide it in my office and they found it.

I have found that the key to a good integration is a lot of space, multiple feeding stations and water, play and hide places. In the barn here my hay pile is a fun spot - I had to cover it with old sheets to keep the chicken doodoo off it (and to keep they from tearing it apart). If you can pile four or five straw bales for entertainment it should help with distraction of bossy gals.

Good luck - how’s it going?

Oh I do so like a nice Barred Rock :love

20 is a goodly amount for that space, I think that a great idea for more food/water and obstacles. Right now my 3 Tweens like my lawn chair to roost on - I even hide it in my office and they found it.

I have found that the key to a good integration is a lot of space, multiple feeding stations and water, play and hide places. In the barn here my hay pile is a fun spot - I had to cover it with old sheets to keep the chicken doodoo off it (and to keep they from tearing it apart). If you can pile four or five straw bales for entertainment it should help with distraction of bossy gals.

Good luck - how’s it going?
It's going much better but much more work!!! Lol! I have food and water all over and many more obstacles. My chicken yard looks like a junk yard. I'm using old laundry baskets with the ends cut out for tunnels. I just covered the sharp areas with duct tape. Old tables, wood, etc. Sometimes the hens get into chase mode but it has calmed down and the chicks know how to get away. I think the food and water options are what made the biggest difference. Thanks for the help. 😊

It's going much better but much more work!!! Lol! I have food and water all over and many more obstacles. My chicken yard looks like a junk yard. I'm using old laundry baskets with the ends cut out for tunnels. I just covered the sharp areas with duct tape. Old tables, wood, etc. Sometimes the hens get into chase mode but it has calmed down and the chicks know how to get away. I think the food and water options are what made the biggest difference. Thanks for the help. 😊
Yes my barn is like a tornado went through it haha. My Blacksmith was just out to trim horses (she has chickens too), and we were laughing over how the chickens seem to have taken over the barn - it's no longer a stables for horses, it's a hotel for Chickens!

Love the idea with the laundry basket - I am going to try that here.

And yes having multiple feeding stations is what keeps everyone here happy also. I do the same thing outside with the horses, hay is put into as many piles as I have horses in each paddock- 3 horses then I put the hay in 3 piles. Of course I can't have 13 feeding stations with the chickens but I do have about 6 - some are bowls with wet mash, some are dry ration feeders. It takes me a few minutes each evening to gather them all up and put away (rats and mice.... enough said there).

Yes my barn is like a tornado went through it haha. My Blacksmith was just out to trim horses (she has chickens too), and we were laughing over how the chickens seem to have taken over the barn - it's no longer a stables for horses, it's a hotel for Chickens!

Love the idea with the laundry basket - I am going to try that here.

And yes having multiple feeding stations is what keeps everyone here happy also. I do the same thing outside with the horses, hay is put into as many piles as I have horses in each paddock- 3 horses then I put the hay in 3 piles. Of course I can't have 13 feeding stations with the chickens but I do have about 6 - some are bowls with wet mash, some are dry ration feeders. It takes me a few minutes each evening to gather them all up and put away (rats and mice.... enough said there).
Here's the laundry basket
20230524_132448.jpg

Back
Top Bottom