Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks

Howdy Fanthewolve

While broody hens usually get off the nest once or twice a day to stretch their legs, have something to drink and eat and deposit a humungous broody poop, some did not get that memo ;)

I have a broody hen who gets so deep into the zone, she does not take a break.

She is the only one of my broodys who does not move so I do move her once a day and due to our climate, ensure that I take her frequent drinks during the day in a very small cup.  I think she likes being waited on :D

Mine does not take a break either. I throw her some food every other day and bring her some water or she would die on some of the hot days

I fly and two Thursday our flight was canceled..so came home..When I arrived I saw our outdoor kitty running after what I thought was birds. I told April to stop it...After getting settled, I went out only to discover these birds where baby chicks. I have never raised chicken so this is new..Went to this website...found out I needed a brooder which I made out of a clear large storage bin...These Babies..Gracie, Harriet, and Lucy are I believe 3 weeks old...I will need something bigger..what in the world do I use. They are in our living room Also does anybody know what type of chicken they might be? Thank You

Last edited:
- What preparations do you make before hatching/buying chicks?

I remember when I bought chicks we first started our flock.

Way back then I knew absolutely nothing about chicks or chickens infact. We kept them in a cage without a heat lamp, without all the necessity things but they would get trips outside every day. I knew nothing about the sickness they could easily get, good thing though because otherwise I would have been one stressed momma.

Of course I don’t do that now but they survived without a heat lamp.

Before I set eggs in the incubator I make sure I have space for X amount of chicks. I make sure I have a plan for excess roos, whether they can be named dinner or for breeding projects.
I also check breeding pens to see if I have room for anymore breeders.

Things have been going downhill with my chickens lately, I’ve lost over 10 so things have been messy and out of order.

However once I make sure I have the room etc I don’t actually setup the brooder until the chicks hatch. If I get the brooder ready before hand without knowing how much chicks I have I don’t know how much gallons of “Special water” and “Fermented feed” I should make and the size of the brooder I should use.

My brooder (s) is easy to get up and running so as long as I disinfect it beforehand I find its easier for me to set the brooder up once the chicks hatch.

Like for instance right now I have just had 2 chicks hatch, so I don’t need to make a whole lot of fermented feed and special water and I will use the smaller brooder.

Where as in 2 weeks I have 10 chicken eggs and 6 Quail eggs hatching so therefore I need to choose the brooder according to the size of the batch I have and the special water and fermented feed.

- Tell me about your brooder(s); Also, do you brood indoors or outdoors?

I have 3 brooders, all different sizes. And im looking into making a big brooder out of a chest drawer frame.

-
This is my smallest brooder that is in use right now. Its fairly simple:

Heat Lamp, Heat Monitoring Gadget, Plush toy, Feed and waterer containers and bedding.

For the first week I lay paper down in the brooders. For me it means my chicks don’t slip and get crooked feet or slipped tendons.

After that I either put hay, or chaff in the brooders. I dont use Chaff or Hay for the first week because I find that they are too curious at that age and end up chocking on the small chaff pieces or long hay pieces. I lost a chick to it.

Notice the Styrofoam and towel in the background?

I put the Styrofoam on the brooder wall that the light is closet to and then the small towel. Why? So that the light doesn’t end up burning anything and it keeps it cooler because the light isn’t reflecting on anything.

I also have a plush toy in there for the smaller batch of chicks because they don’t have a lot of “each other’s to keep them warm” they love that toy because it gives them a sense of security as well.

I make sure the chicks have spots to get into the cool, as you can see.

I would show you the 2 other brooders but they are tucked away; the medium sized brooder im going to have to put modifications to because the cat can get into it.

I forgot to mention, I took that smallest brooder picture just now.

Notice the empty food container? I leave it empty for the first day. I give them time to take in the nutrients of that yolk sac. But I do dip their beaks in the water before I set them in the brooder.

I brood indoors with chicks..but as for ducks after the first week I brood them outside. They are too messy and stinky to be indoors the whole brooding period. I find it better for them to not grow up with chicks as I made that mistake and my drake goes after the turkey and chooks.

- How to raise healthy, strong chicks. (Supplements/Feed/Heat management, etc)

I’ll let you in on my little secret.

Whats the thing I call ‘Special water” you ask?

Well, it’s a mix of Garlic, Honey and water. I got the method of a homesteader via Youtube and it’s the best thing I have ever chosen to use.

The Honey gives a boost to those new weak little chicks, and the garlic boosts the immune system and strengthens it. I use it all the way until adolescence. It keeps away sickness whilst they are young, and if the disease isn’t too strong it usually keeps diseases away when they are adults because of the boost start to life they had. I use it for every chick I get, and also for the new chicks I buy or I even use it on new adult members for the first week, it keeps stress levels down.

When the chicks become adults I put a tiny bit of garlic in their water and apple cidar vinegar.

Each and every one of my birds receive a bit of garlic in their throats (like a pill..) at the end of each month. Works miracles, you can never go wrong with garlic.
I highly, HIGHLY recommend all newbies to use the “Special water” method, or even people looking for better methods for their chicks. Any questions about it just ask
smile.png

As for their feed, well its fermented feed, again I highly recommend people to use it.
After their first week, I start offering treats. Banana and Peas are the ones I use often. Healthy and good for their little bodys.

After day 2 I start taking them out in the green grass ONLY when it is hot outside….dont risk taking fragile things outside when there’s a breeze.
A stress free environment is also the key for raising healthy and confident chicks. Don’t put the brooder right in the middle of the living room. Keep it in a corner or in a quieter room if you can

Anything you'd like to add?

Just a few chick pics that are on my PC..

I fly and two Thursday our flight was canceled..so came home..When I arrived I saw our outdoor kitty running after what I thought was birds. I told April to stop it...After getting settled, I went out only to discover these birds where baby chicks. I have never raised chicken so this is new..Went to this website...found out I needed a brooder which I made out of a clear large storage bin...These Babies..Gracie, Harriet, and Lucy are I believe 3 weeks old...I will need something bigger..what in the world do I use. They are in our living room Also does anybody know what type of chicken they might be? Thank You

Can you describe the "heating pad cave" or better yet, a photo? Thanks.

Check out Beekissed post (#13) on the second paged, tells you all you need to know.

i've beenraising chicks for three years, i've hatched my own and usually i lose a few. but i also raise tractor supply chicks and i've never lost one from there. i learn new things with every batch i hatch.my last chick i hatched i let run with the rest of the flock, and that was the healtiest strongest chick i've ever had. she died from a rat attack while roosting. so this year i'll have my chicks free ranging but put them up at night for protection.

I don't have a picture of our brooder...but this year we're only raising 3-4 chicks. They're kept in the cellar until they're fully feathered and big enough to hold their own with the adult birds in the coop (after slow intros, of course).

I adjust the heat lamp based on their behavior. I figure they know when they're comfortable better than I do. When we first get them, I gently dip their beak into the water, so they know where it is.

For food, I ferment regular unmedicated chick starter. I mix various herbs (chosen for health benefits), honey, and ACV with the mother in and let it do its thing. It may take them a bit to decide to go for it, but once they taste it we have yet to see one not adore it. At about 2 weeks old, I start to offer small and/or soft treats.

We live in a pretty cold, wet climate so they don't get to go outside and play until we get a hot day or they're fully feathered...whichever comes first.

I do not have a heating pad cave? My baby wks are in a plastic bin that you would use for storage...If you go to my page you will see pictures I posted of the baby cks a couple of days ago...my concern is that they are going to be to big and I was wondering what other do when they get larger thank you

Back
Top Bottom