Topic of the Week - What is the purpose of your flock?

Pics
Initially, it was just for the eggs. Our three boys hit their teens and started eating eggs by the dozens so my wife and I thought it would be a good idea to raise them ourselves, control what the chickens are fed and ultimately what goes in the eggs. Plus, as y'all know, they taste 100 times better than store bought. But then we discovered how damn entertaining they can be and the fact they have personalities.

We all keep chickens for our reasons, whether it's eggs, exhibition, or just pets with benefits. This week, out of curiosity, I'd like to hear what your flock's main purpose is for you? I.e. why do you keep chickens?

Egg-laying?
Exhibition?
Dual purpose (meat and eggs)?
Lawn ornaments/pets?
Other?

View attachment 1319726
For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I guess for the same reason I have a vegetable garden...I enjoy watching them grow. I've always wanted chickens...this is my first year having them. I bought 15 last April from Tractor Supply...5 of each of the 3 breeds they had and my 6yo and 8yo helped me name them. They have more personality than I ever realized...it is quite entertaining. I came home from work the other day and Joshua, my 6yo, said his chicken" Sweetie Pie" was cackling very loudly. I thought it odd because every evening when I greet them with, "Hey, girls.. How is everybody?"...they always talk with soft gentle murmurs...NEVER loud cackling. So I went in the chicken run to give them all treats that I keep in a large lidded trash can. All the hens gathered around the treats except for Joshua's "Sweetie Pie"...she went on loudly cackling and ran straight into the chicken house! I thought, "What is wrong with her?...seems like shes trying to tell us something. Just then Joshua came out of the coop and hollered, " Mama, Sweetie Pie laid an egg!"...so our first egg harvest begins. 😁❤️

My first chicken (my namesake/photo) was dumped in the woods near my property in early October several years ago. He eventually found his way to my house and I decided to keep him. I built him a small coop - large enough for him and two girlfriends. I went to TSC in Spring and was surprised to learn my state requires a purchase minimum of 6 chicks. That mucked up my plans a bit, so I walked out with six unsexed Silkies and all the supplies for them.

I had my Dad start on a larger coop while the Silkies grew out in my bathroom. Eventually, four of the six started crowing. Thinking about it now, I guess I could have put the roosters in the big coop and the two girls in the small coop and stopped there, but that's not really how it works, right?

My aunt said she got some Silkies from TSC and she decided she didn't want them - too big, not pretty enough, etc. She was sure they were all hens, so I brought them home. Three of the four started crowing.... So, instead of stopping there... I ordered sexed Faverolles. Once they started feathering out, I realized four of the eight were roosters.....

I got the hint and stopped there.

I put all of the boys, except Miles, into the big coop. And figured they'll get along or they won't. Miles and the girls went into the small coop that I modified so it was much larger.

The original purpose was to give this one little rooster a better life, but now that I have only boys and have learned so much about roosters, it's to help educate the general public on how amazing roosters are and prevent needless cruelty before it starts. I volunteer as a chicken expert for a wildlife group that aims to reduce human/wildlife conflict and teaches coexistence.

Last edited:
When I had chickens the first time a couple years ago I had them for pets and eggs. I had them with ducks, and I loved my ducks but they were so messy. So gave away my chickens and ducks, except my blind duck I kept her.

Now in the time since I had no chickens I’ve noticed my wasp population grew immensely. So this year decided to get some more chickens(no ducks this time) to keep the wasps down in my goat and horse barn. I also love them like pets! And the eggs are just an added bonus

We decided to get a few chicks during COVID for my teenage daughter who was sliding quickly into depression. It gave her a focus and chores daily. She has now left home (college) and the girls have helped me adjust to my empty nest. Emotional support chickens?? They have more personality than I ever thought possible and are pets that give back.

Mine are pets with benefits. I get the most fun looking chickens with the prettiest colors. They all have names and most of them are super friendly and will beg for treats like a puppy. Me and my husband don't eat eggs much, so we sell them to help with feed costs. Aside from the layer flock, whom we'll never eat/kill/get rid of, we get a handful of broilers every 6 months and butcher them. Its amazing how much tastier they are compared to grocery store chickens.

For me they are so many things!

Pets with the bonus of fresh eggs.
Company in the garden.
Entertainment with all their crazy antics.
Fertilizer creators for that garden.
A reason to be outside doing things like carrying water at 4 am :rolleyes:...yeah not fun but necessary in winter.

They keep me active so are an added health benefit.

Back
Top Bottom