Torturing myself - what went wrong - too hot?

amsunshine

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Kansas
So I've got 3 peafowl eggs in the incy (put in at different times). The oldest one hatched successfully last night all by itself (no helpout from me). It didn't peep any that I could hear while it was in the shell (as my chicken chicks do), but it pipped and then zipped itself all the way out in a 2-hour period. It was bumbling around the incy for an hour, and then I put it under a heat lamp in the brooder. The temp at floor level under the lamp was 99 degrees, so I went to bed (this was around midnight). I woke at 3:30 AM and checked on the chick. Temp under the lamp had risen to 104 degrees. The chick was dead. :( It had a 2-foot radius to move away from the heat, and it'd bumbled around enough that I could see that it was mobile enough to do so.

This was my first peachick hatched in an incy (vs. under a peahen) and I feel like an utter failure. When the chick hatched, it was bright-eyed and vigorous, and when I carried it to the brooder, it moved around in my hand and peeped. It seemed so lively.

My chicken chicks can tolerate small fluctuations in temp under the brooder lamp (I check to try to adjust the lamp height or position if it's not right). Was this fluctuation too much for the peachick? Are they more fragile than chicken chicks? I feel really dumb asking these questions, because I have a feeling some of you are going to say, "Yeah, dummy it was too hot!!"

I feel like a bad peachick mommy. I need to get this right with the other 2 eggs that are due to hatch (I have 5 more eggs under a peahen who is a proven good mommy - she did great last year and raised her babies very lovingly--these incy eggs are from a new peahen who just drops her eggs in any ole spot). I don't want to go through this again. Any advice would be much much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about the baby. Yes 104 is too hot for the chick I always keep my chicks in the incubator overnight to dry off and then move to the brooder and keep them at 99.3 for the first week than start to lower it every week. Also if there is any breeze at all that may affect them also. And then sometimes chick don't make it no matter what we do. Just make notes and you will learn.

Thank you. I thought the temp had stabilized but I guess it hadn't.
sad.png
Guess the only thing I don't understand is why it didn't move away from the heat. Too tired from the hatching maybe? Gads. I will strive never to make this mistake again. That baby just looked and acted so perfect. :(

Maybe there was something else wrong. It may have tried to move but if the temp is the same all around it may it wouldn't have done any good and it overcame him.

Back
Top Bottom