Total Chicken Newbie

heirloommaters

Hatching
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Hi! I've been poking around here a bit as prep for getting some chickens, about 12 Buckeyes who are to arrive in early June. And then...at the feed store today...there were two Ameracuanas and ten Rhode Island Reds who are about four weeks old. They were left over from an order someone did not pick up, and as I wanted older than chick size anyway, we took the plunge. Thankfully, we know the feed store folks, and we can pick them up Monday, which gives us a little time to convert a 10x13 shed into a coop. Nothing like imminent arrival to get your patootie in gear!

I'm wondering all sorts of things on new chickens, like how much protection we'll need for sure, how much free to have in my free range, and more! We're out in the country on a small heirloom tomato farm, so it is not like they'll bug anyone.

Where's the best place to start on here? Is there a Mother Hen section for newbies like me to get taken under someone's wing?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from NW Indiana
Don't feel too bad. I'm not allowed to go into Tractor Supply unless I've got someone with me so I don't bring anymore home. I'm new to chickens also and have just fallen for them like no one's business....

You can check out my BYC page to see how I've been doing it for years. It' either the perfect way or the stupid way depending on who you ask!

Hi there!
frow.gif
Welcome from western Kentucky! Glad you decided to join us. I like your idea about the "Mother Hen" section -- that's cute!
big_smile.png
There are lots of friendly helpful people here, and a veritable treasure trove of valuable info. Pull up a comfy chair and let's spend some cybertime among friends!
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom