Toulouse Goose Question

candira

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Lexington, Texas
Last year I bought 4 Toulouse geese. The man had a trailer full that he had caught to sell. I told him I wanted 3 females and 1 male. He said he couldn't tell by looking at them, but he picked me 3 that had the slightest dip (where feathers were removed) in the back of their head from mating and 1 that didn't. So they have done great, they have stuck together very tight this whole time. Well a couple weeks ago I noticed them mating! And I found a few eggs. My question is about this though, last night when I went to walk them into the run and close it, only 1 was here. It really scared me, because I knew something may have happened to the others. Well I found them, they were still just pecking around and then went to the run. I noticed for the first time one of them being kind of mean to the chickens and one of the Toulouse (I assume the one that was alone) in the run last night. One of the geese started sitting on some chicken eggs laid that day, and I just assumed the male was being protective of that. But I was surprised. Then I let them out this morning, and 3 of them took off together, and the one is all alone? What happened? Did they kick this one out of their group???!! The four of them used to be inseparable. Could this mean I possibly have 2 males? Any answers are appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
I just came back outside to check and see if they were together again. I walked to the tank and the 3 of them were together. Then I came back to the coop looking for the other one and found her sitting on that same nest where the chicken eggs were last night (I've already collected them) so now I'm thinking she is a girl. I'm confused here!

I just came back outside to check and see if they were together again. I walked to the tank and the 3 of them were together. Then I came back to the coop looking for the other one and found her sitting on that same nest where the chicken eggs were last night (I've already collected them) so now I'm thinking she is a girl. I'm confused here!
At least you know the one is female the one sitting on the nest. Once they go broody they will sit even if there aren't eggs. So she maybe actually excluded herself from them. Ganders do get ornery this time of year to others besides their females so seeing one picking on the chickens is normal but I would keep the geese separate from the chickens for now if you have them all sleeping together at night. During the day if they have plenty of room to stay away from the geese then that would work

The others could be 3 ganders or vise versa just hard to say are any of the 3 that are together mating or fighting usually the gander will walk around with his head stuck out like he is being protective of his mate the females just walk normal the goose also has a low sounding voice the ganders are loud and high pitched. You may have to drag up a chair and sit and watch.

Right now when I go around my pair my gander is always ready to defend his female it doesn't matter is she is being threatened or not which is never the case anyway he is just doing his duty.

Might enjoy this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...se-from-a-gander-in-case-anyone-is-interested

Last edited:
Thank you for all of that info! And the video in that thread was awesome! I checked back and she wasn't on the nest anymore, but had laid an egg. She is now just sitting in one of the pools here by the house, while the other 3 are still down at the tank. I tend to lump all my birds together and refer to them as "chickens" but I should clarify, all my birds go into the same chicken coop, but the chickens go up into the house and roost and the ducks and geese stay in the run. That goose last night was being aggressive with his head stuck out like that to another Toulouse (I only have the 4 of them) and another goose (I have a pair of brown Chinese) The ducks were just running about trying to get out of his way! And they all free range during the day. I guess I will just wait see what comes of this. But I want to incubate eggs of course and now I'm worried her eggs won't be fertile if the other 3 are kicking her out of the group.

I guess at this point, I know for sure that I have (out of the 4 Toulouse), 1 male and at least 1, possibly 2 females based on the number of eggs I got one morning. One time while they were mating in a pool here by the house, I saw the males penis afterwards. So I thought, well I've at least got a male and female!

I guess at this point, I know for sure that I have (out of the 4 Toulouse), 1 male and at least 1, possibly 2 females based on the number of eggs I got one morning. One time while they were mating in a pool here by the house, I saw the males penis afterwards. So I thought, well I've at least got a male and female!
When they first begin to lay they will build up their nest so she will probably have about 8-9 eggs before she actually goes broody. So now she laid this morning and she may even sit on her nest when she goes into night. But once she stays on the nest 24/7 except for eating drinking and bathing you can't start counting down to 30. lol

So you at least have a pair. That's good.

I think as the season goes on you'll be able to pick your sexes.

I really appreciate all your information. This is a nice outlet even for me just to wrap my head around what is going on! Later in the day the other 3 came back from the tank and they met back up with her. It's just been unusual seeing them ever seperate. The whole time I've had them, they stick together 24/7!

Well darn. I was feeling better when they joined back up. But now they have left again and she has literally just been sitting and sometimes sleeping in one spot by herself. She's not foraging or anything. Just sitting, for a couple of hours already!

Well darn. I was feeling better when they joined back up. But now they have left again and she has literally just been sitting and sometimes sleeping in one spot by herself. She's not foraging or anything. Just sitting, for a couple of hours already!
Have you seen her eating feed? drinking?

When they all joined back up briefly, they were all standing by the pool either swimming or drinking. I haven't seen her eat anything though. I just walked back outside and she has moved a couple feed away, but still sitting.

Back
Top Bottom