Tractor Design: Hoop v/s Short Rectangle

ChiknforME

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Torn between which to build. I have lots of predators in my area, and I can see making the low frame more predator proof. Putting in 40 meat birds, so going to do two tractors. All feedback welcome!

Torn between which to build. I have lots of predators in my area, and I can see making the low frame more predator proof. Putting in 40 meat birds, so going to do two tractors. All feedback welcome!
Make it so you can easily move it.
Might need more than 2 tractors for 40 birds.
Predator proofing is all about what mesh you use,
and how much gap you might have where tractor meets the ground.

Thanks!! I am going to use HC on the bottom for sure. As well as some type of apron, probly will have some electric fence as well. How many birds per tractor then? As well as what size tractor?

We're constructing a rectangle with an attached, raised hen house; the run spans underneath the entire tractor. I found the idea/plan on YouTube from a farmer. We'll be building ours this weekend. Let me know if you want the link! :)

Thanks!! I am going to use HC on the bottom for sure. As well as some type of apron, probly will have some electric fence as well. How many birds per tractor then? As well as what size tractor?

moving a tractor with a HC bottom over anything but smooth terrain will be very difficult. Also, how do you plan on cleaning it? That many chickens - LOTS of poop, that stick to HC like it's welded on! Even using 2x4" wire will quickly become near impossible to move w/ all the poop they will drop. Yes, it will spread some, but not as much as you think. Also, the wire bottom acts like a tractor scoop - picking up any loose sand/dirt as you go over it.

There are many different styles of tractors currently on the market that will work great for meat birds. Are you wanting to go with a walk in style (check out John Suscovich, Joel Salatin; YouTube - Sow the Land; Justin Rhodes, Joel Salatin and I think others)? As Aart stated, any can be made predator proof by using HC wire on the tops and sides. A walk-in CP hoop coop will work for meat birds as well - there are different ways of doing the front/sides of any of these that will give a decent ground clearance so that uneven terrain doesn't tear them up or rip them apart. Heavy duty, wider wheels, attached at the right areas can make moving them much easier.

John Suscovich usually runs 25 chickens per tractor; Joel Salatin usually runs more but sizing is different.

Are you doing cornishX or one of the "Ranger" types? If the cornishX, I've found they don't do any roosting in the time you raise them, so don't need a roost in the tractor.

moving a tractor with a HC bottom over anything but smooth terrain will be very difficult. Also, how do you plan on cleaning it? That many chickens - LOTS of poop, that stick to HC like it's welded on! Even using 2x4" wire will quickly become near impossible to move w/ all the poop they will drop. Yes, it will spread some, but not as much as you think. Also, the wire bottom acts like a tractor scoop - picking up any loose sand/dirt as you go over it.

There are many different styles of tractors currently on the market that will work great for meat birds. Are you wanting to go with a walk in style (check out John Suscovich, Joel Salatin; YouTube - Sow the Land; Justin Rhodes, Joel Salatin and I think others)? As Aart stated, any can be made predator proof by using HC wire on the tops and sides. A walk-in CP hoop coop will work for meat birds as well - there are different ways of doing the front/sides of any of these that will give a decent ground clearance so that uneven terrain doesn't tear them up or rip them apart. Heavy duty, wider wheels, attached at the right areas can make moving them much easier.

John Suscovich usually runs 25 chickens per tractor; Joel Salatin usually runs more but sizing is different.

Are you doing cornishX or one of the "Ranger" types? If the cornishX, I've found they don't do any roosting in the time you raise them, so don't need a roost in the tractor.

I need to rephrase!! Around the bottom SIDES! I would like chickens to be on the bare ground, no wire underneath. Doing Cornish X, definitely do not want to overcrowd. I think the materials I have on hand will fit a short rectangle tractor better, just want birds to thrive.

I need to rephrase!! Around the bottom SIDES! I would like chickens to be on the bare ground, no wire underneath. Doing Cornish X, definitely do not want to overcrowd. I think the materials I have on hand will fit a short rectangle tractor better, just want birds to thrive.

:lau I read that a couple of times and it never occurred to me that you meant the sides, LOL! I just kept thinking you guys were gluttons for what my parents used to call "make work"...when us kids weren't doing enough or were unoccupied...

For starting chicks I use a "pre-made" type of rectangular tractor. I was in a hurry, had gotten some chicks and this worked great. I use puppy X-pens attached to a rabbit cage. I'm actually getting ready to put these on a wood base, to make them easier to move (I know from first hand experiance that that wire fills up with dirt - with a hardened ridge of "mix" against the back wall of the rabbit cage). I'm sure a rectangular pen would work great. Last year, I had some chicks get to big before moving them to a differnt, tractor or a coop/run. Oi, that was a royal pain.

I saw another BYCer's rectangular tractor last nite and it was AWESOME... He has it posted on his site @ (hope it's ok to post??) - compact chicken tractor and talked about it in this thread - anyone willing to critique... and I also describe to that person an A-Frame tractor that I'm currently using...

Back
Top Bottom