Tractor/playpen for unlevel ground

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Looking for ideas for the best chicken tractor/playpen for unlevel ground to use during the day only. This may be my only option to somewhat free range. It would need a top (net or corrugated tin) as I have spotted many aerial predators lately and skirting for the diggers. I’d love to move it by hand if possible. I’ve searched and searched. Any ideas? I’d like to do something as simple as a pvc tractor but I’m afraid it won’t bend with the earth. Electric chicken mesh and some sort of canopy? all suggestions and photos welcome! I need inspiration

What about making small tractors that you can connect together with a tunnel? A cattle panel would make a 50" x 8' tractor...

How uneven is your ground? Photos? How many chickens?

JT

What about making small tractors that you can connect together with a tunnel? A cattle panel would make a 50" x 8' tractor...

How uneven is your ground? Photos? How many chickens?

JT

That may work! I just need it easy to move around. The ground is pretty bad! It used to be an old cow yard and then on top of that we had heavy trucks putting in a new septic and bringing in gravel last summer while the ground was soggy. I’ll take photos in it bit!

I’m not sure if you can even tell! Little hills and ruts everywhere. Pretty much the darker green grass is higher than the dead/brown. I threw the wagon in there thinking it would show unevenness. The one with leaves is part of my side yard I have yet to clean up but it shows a slope in the background. Live on 5 acres and it’s all pretty much bumps and ruts until I fix it (hoping in a few years after new foundation under house is done) I’m wondering if encasing the bottom with HC would be the way to go? I really didn’t want to go that route because of strain on feet and what not. Or maybe I could throw bricks on the HC skirt?
014CD5CD-E25C-4B01-91AC-145D7230FD78.jpeg
2A4E8667-854D-49D2-9702-47966E82F6EB.jpeg
450B895E-D57B-4E43-8B49-03D14A609D03.jpeg

Doesn't look too bad to me, some weight on the skirt will work. Diggers will come up to the barrier (wall/fence) and try and dig at the bottom of the barrier. Some old tires would work... you could even paint them up and put a bottom in and make a flower pot from them.

JT

Back
Top Bottom