Tractor Supply Co. Chicken Coop Reviews Thoughts Feedback - Why and Why Not ?

Yeah the coops are very small especially for regular sized chickens. They do fall apart pretty fast as well especially considering th money you spend on them.
I didn't spend anything and was given it so I can't complain.

If I paid $300 for it, I wouldn't be happy with how flimsy it gets. Plus how worn it looks after a little time.

I didn't pay so I'm happy 😁

I lean more toward the "cons" than the "pros" side when it comes to these coops. Admittedly, I never had one, but where I am not the world's greatest carpenter I did look at them a lot, read the reviews, etc. Many of the reviews I've read echo the sentiments shared here: they are not that durable, neither in terms of being predator-proof nor in terms of the materials used. I didn't see ANY that I thought would comfortably house the number of birds they claim. Some look better than others and may be OK for, say, a broody with her babies, a couple of new birds, etc. Some reviewers said that they were a lot harder to put together than the description led you to believe. Some said they had defects at the outset, such as pieces that were warped, split by nails, wouldn't fit together, etc., at least not without some extra work on their part. And that the trim, the doors, etc. fell off in the first season. It does sound like at least in some cases they are mass-produced from cheap materials. And I definitely don't want ANYTHING that's made in communist China!!

You could just buy a shed kit and modify it for use as a chicken coop. I bought one for $65.00 and built a 7'X8' coop. Your cost will depend on what you use to cover it. I used 1/2" exterior ply for the sides and roof. The roof is also covered with felt paper and tin. I added a 7'X16' run so I can leave the chickens in if I have to go out of town. They normally free range during the day. The run is covered in 1/4" hardware cloth and has a tin roof. There is a 4' apron of 1/2" hardware cloth buried around the entire coop and run to prevent digging. The sides of the coop are covered with 1/4" hardware cloth up to 4'. Total cost was just over $600.00.

I've had a few people recently reach out to me asking which coop I suggest they buy from TSC (Tractor Supply Co). I obviously have my own ideas & thoughts, but I worry I might also be biased. While I think some of the chicken coops at TSC are probably total garbage, I'm hoping others might be respectable options.

I thought I'd reach out to the hive... er... flock-mind and get a good discussion going.

Take a look at some of the coops at TSC, copy a handful of links to coops and post them here with your thoughts / comments.

Here's a direct link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/coops?cm_sp=Fly_-_-SubCategory-_-Coops

Some are as low as around $300:

... while others are as high as $1,400:
So, check out their site and post some links and comments. Hopefully we can help save some peeps some headaches and get them (and their flocks) to a happy-place!
When starting with layers a couple of years ago I looked at pre-built coops. Very disappointed in size and quality. I felt the size was cruel and construction dangerous to chicks from predators. I hired a local handyman, drew plans for 4x8 coop with fenced 8x8 yard. It was about $1500 but will be here longer than me. It has stood up to snow and storms. I figure do it correctly for you and the hens.

I've had a few people recently reach out to me asking which coop I suggest they buy from TSC (Tractor Supply Co). I obviously have my own ideas & thoughts, but I worry I might also be biased. While I think some of the chicken coops at TSC are probably total garbage, I'm hoping others might be respectable options.

I thought I'd reach out to the hive... er... flock-mind and get a good discussion going.

Take a look at some of the coops at TSC, copy a handful of links to coops and post them here with your thoughts / comments.

Here's a direct link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/coops?cm_sp=Fly_-_-SubCategory-_-Coops

So, check out their site and post some links and comments. Hopefully we can help save some peeps some headaches and get them (and their flocks) to a happy-place!
Well, I

So we bought this one last year.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cumberland-cottage-coop-dus200120-dus200120

I have to say it's not great. Every time it rains the doors start sticking. It was missing a couple of parts (nothing vital.) The waste tray pull-out feature is a total waste (haha) because there's no clearance for the bedding or waste so it gets scraped off into the run underneath which is hard to reach! And my biggest aggravation is the issue with the roosts in the coop. They are LOW. They are less than an inch above the waste tray, which puts them level with the nesting boxes so my chooks slept in the nesting boxes.

My husband and I just built a 64 sq ft coop and it's so much better. I'm keeping the prefab coop but reworking the interior so it has proper roosts and I'll use it as an outside brooder. I don't expect it to last more than a year or two.

I bought this one last year, I am a first time chicken owner. I used a coop sealer on the whole thing when I first assembled it and put it on pressure a treated 2x4 frame. It gave it a little more height and worked as a barrier from direct contact with the ground. When I slide the tray out, I slide it out about 2/3 of the way and then use a shovel to shift the bedding over the outer frame, it then just lands into the part I've already pulled out past the frame. Once it's all scooped over onto the part of the tray that extends past the frame, I slide it completely out and dump it. I noticed right away too the the roost bars were way too close to the litter tray. We took one of the roost bars to use as a vertical support and then raised the other roost bar. They started using it right away. I only have three bantams so one roost bar was enough. We took some metal garden step in posts and put them at each corner of the coop. They go down fairly deep into the ground. We screwed the coop to the posts to keep it from being tipped or knocked down due to predators or weather. I live on Long Island. Then we trenched hardware cloth about 8 inches deep. So far it's proven adequate, I allow them out into my yard everyday when I'm at home. I am now planning to figure out the best plan to encompass this coop into a large run so, they can have a large and secure free range area while I'm not home.

Well, I own 1. Had a better one I lost 3 weeks ago & had to scramble to get another 1 fast. & $299 plus tax I could barely afford & went for it. It's not that sturdy, but should last 2 - 3 ish years. Not chest high, so a pain in the butt to clean. Flimsy thin wood & wire. And, there is no way it holds 6-10 grown chickens. However, I have
8 of a smaller chicken breed & added a tunnel 30 ft now, will b 100 ft next week, so I might b ok. Also added two 2x4 8 ft boards & 2 wheels so it'll move like a tractor style. A few times, not often. Flimsy, but the tunnel will move around.

Back
Top Bottom