Transitioning tweens to the coop

RollerDerbyLexi

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 17, 2013
In my opinion, chicks in the brooder is easy street. It's challenging when everyone is getting big and rambunctious.

This is my second transition and first transition with a rooster in the coop. The tweens were penned in the big girl's run for two weeks before I put them in the coop one night.
At 12 weeks the tweens are smaller than the big gals, but with hurricane season in coastal Texas upon me, I did the deed.

My biggest challenge has been with the rooster. He kept on trying to jump on the tweens. One in particular. He's a Welsummer and he's was infatuated with little Penny who also is a Welsummer. The tweens would stay in the coop all day to avoid the child molester. I know nature will take its course, but the rooster was hit with the hose a few times as well as a time out night in the hospital cage to cool his jets.

It's been about a 10 days and the kinks are working themselves out. Penny has become less of an obsession to Zombie (the Rooster.)

If anyone has a story to share about their transition I would love to hear about others successes and fails.

Here are a few picts of the crew and set up.

This is a re-purposed shed I bought. I did NOT do the paint job.
wink.png
Penny and Tika Masala like it.

My kids coexisting with the big gals.

Barbie (the Exchequer) loves her mama.

That is strange as roosters are normally either welcoming to chicks or they ignore them. How old were they when you added them? And how many adults and how many were you adding? I'm glad everyone is finally getting along, sometimes it takes a few weeks depending on the flock dynamics and amount of room everyone has.

Love your graffiti in the coop, and your birds are very pretty. I see you have lots of roost space and a large yard. Very nice, and they look very happy.

My Rooster I had last year was only interested in the older hens. The young ones that were not ready to lay eggs he left alone till they matured. Once they were too his liking he was on them all the time.
Not sure?

I think my rooster is sad and extra horny due to most of the flock passing away. I had three ladies that passed due to a neighbor dog attack. It was tragic for all.

After relocating the coop (and threatening our neighbor with a shooting of their dog) I have two 10 month old hens and rooster as well as six 3 month old girls.

At first my boss hen a light Brahma would peck at them. Now her and my barred rock hen just do their own thing and don't mind the chicks as long as i'm not feeding them snacks.

THANKs
clap.gif
for the posts, I can't find much on roosters and adolescent hens. When is it normal for him to go after them?

I do think the loss of the flock AND he is one HIGH spirited guy.
D.gif
He crows all the time. He's not even a year, so I'm thinking he's in overdrive.
love.gif

He does sound hyper protective, I'm sure he was traumatized and change upsets him. Hopefully as he gets older he's able to calm down a bit. A rooster should embrace new members, especially females, but sometimes they aren't so bright. He sounds like he takes his job seriously.

I posted this is before and someone called me a bad chicken mom. My rooster has survived 2 eagle attacks, Avian Pox and 2 dog attacks. Believe me I have done everything besides lock them in a cage to remedy the predators.

Funny thing is.... his name is Zombie. Welsummers were voted the chicken most likely to survive the Apocalypse, thus his name. He was supposed to be a she and the hatchery said they would take him back, but he was such a good guy I decided to keep him.

He is a survivor and he is a good rooster. He sounds the the alarm with ANYTHING in the area. He's worth his weight in feed :)

I wouldn't call you a bad chicken mom, I would say you have an unlucky rooster, or lucky depending on how you look at it. No wonder he's paranoid. I haven't had a welsummer rooster yet, he sounds like a good one.

Oh boy Brown Leghorn Roosters are so pretty. If my guy ever departs I want one of those or Ayam Cemani roosters. My hatchery lady has the Ayams. They are so weird looking. I think the Brown Leghorn and Welsummers are what a rooster is supposed to look like. I also like the fact that they are kinda medium sized.

Here's a pict of my guy and his ladies after the dog attack. My Light had all of tail feathers ripped out and my Barred had two nasty bites. The rooster just had a chunk of feathers missing from his back.

Very nice Rooster.
Last year my old Rooster was attacked by a Fox. He had lots of tail feathers pulled out. I also lost a hen too the Fox.
The Rooster and my Maremma Dog chased the fox out into my pasture. Good thing the dog was there or the Rooster would of been gone.

Back
Top Bottom