Transporting chickens and ducks a long distance

conroy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Wasn't sure where to post this...we currently live on LI and are moving to GA. It is a 19 hour drive....how do I transport my 10 chickens and 7 ducks safely? I am reaching out for ideas...I have been stressing about this...I don't want to them to be too uncomfortable.

Someone else ask about this a while back and many felt that a truck bed with a cap on it would be good with the bed filled with shavings. I suggest using watermelon provide some source of water. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Almost a year ago, I moved 19 chickens and 11 ducks from Oregon to Kentucky. We went through two horrid snowstorms and a whiteout with no losses. We stopped every 4 hours to check on them, their food and water.
I used soda bottle waters for the chickens and gallon jugs cut down for the ducks and they had little doggie bistro style feeders filled.

This is how they were loaded with battery operated fans for some circulation. I took 2 small coops and made them double deckers and put 5 birds in 3 areas and 4 larger ones in the 4th area. Ducks were in XL dog crates, all in the back of a 26' u-haul truck. Make sure you have NPIP paperwork if you can get it from the hatchery or breeder you got the birds from and a vet certificate of health.

Food stored above one coop unopened and food for travel in 2 five gallon buckets. Straw was in two large lawn bags on top of the center crate ducks.

7630_loaded.jpg

The ducks were in two crates, one on top to the left.

7630_loaded3.jpg

They did great. When we got snowed in, twice, we got a hotel room and I just unlocked the back of the u-haul and it came up about an inch and a half above floor level and they did great all night. They had plenty of straw added at night to snuggle into. Just be careful as it gets warmer because then overheating them could become a problem.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited:
I rented a large van to move a flock of 15 from Florida to South Carolina during a summer many moons ago. I wore ear plugs and kept the air conditioning blasting. Everyone did just fine.

WOw, great info thanks all. Funny, I'm not worried about my kids, my dogs and cats I am slightly worried, my rabbits...slightly...but I have been freaking out about my ducks and chickens...thanks to all of you advice I feel better. Thank so much!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom