Trapped raccoon

From what I've learned over time with dealing with predators, it's always.........and I mean ALWAYS easier to deal with it in whatever way you feel fit-regardless of what others may say. You'll have the ones who say this and the ones who say that, but it boils down to you and what you can deal with.

You've learned, from what I can gather, that you won't be carbon monoxide poisoning any more raccoons in your day and that's a lesson learned. At least now you know.... Granted, you'd like advice on how to take care of your predator, but it boils down to how you can 'actually' deal with it... I've trapped many a predator........disposed of many a predator......and had those nights when I couldn't sleep (for awhile) because of how those predators were disposed, but in all actuality, your birds are safe and you did what you had to do.....personally, I keep it to myself and make it my 'dark secret'.....everyone knows it has to be done......they do.

The first trap is the worst...I wish it would have gone better for you-I do. But sometimes, it's just a nasty situation...regardless of your plans it is "haunting' in a sense...it's not easy. And for what it's worth, I'm glad that you didn't just drop the coon off onto someone else's property...it's a hard situation.

Sunny side up ... it was 30 plus years ago so much has changed.Back then there were places to take them Not so easy now. my last little ones were two baby owlets that lived in the fireplace for their first few weeks.They then ended up in the large flight cage in the yard and went on to be full fledged owls.Then there was were the twin fawns that grew up and lived around the place for the first few yrs then left on their own.There were hawks, bats, injured snakes coyote pup, squirrels, skunks and several more but all this was before the rules tightened and wild spaces shrank. Our goal was to repair and release nothing fancy.
smile.png

With a high powered AIR rifle, one that shoots pellets at 1000FPS or so, you can darn near silently shoot the raccoon in the head without raising an eyebrow. Look at the skull structure online in pictures and figure out where to put a good shot. Get the right place and it will be over instantly.

As for CO2 gassing, it is an approved method of "humane" dispatch, however, I think that is largely because it is easiest on the human doing the work. Have you ever put down an animal with CO2? They ALL panic for a few seconds when the CO2 gets put in, then they proceed to jump and gasp for air for the next 10 seconds before passing out. Personally, instead of gassing, although that is the approved method, I cervically dislocate with my hands each animal to be put down. Takes a bit longer, is more personal, but is done before the animal knows it because they are used to being handled. Of course, coon is much larger than a rodent, so a single well placed shot would be ideal. They fall over dead before they know it.

Thank you for not releasing it though! Even if in a national forest, I'm sure the people who live bordering them thank you too.

Quote:
It depends on the species and physical location I am at as to which I use the cervical dislocation works better on some species then on others chest compression is a lot quicker ( 15-90 seconds) on larger mammals then dislocation again depending on species the times I have seen CO2 used the animal was inside a sheet metal box that the cage trap slid into it was not possible to see the animal the times I have witnessed it must be different ways to use CO2 as well I only knew of the one I have witnessed.

My 2 cents' worth - Someone mentioned car starter fluid, which is ether. I have used this to euthanize a chicken. I held the chicken in my lap and put a starter fluid soaked cloth over her face. She went peacefully to sleep while I cryed my eyes out. It appeared to be painless and peaceful. I can't see holding a coon in my lap and trying it with him! There would be no other way to give him a concentrated enough dose.

Also, in my town it is illegal to relocate. When we used to trap, hubby would shoot any one we caught. Now we just make sure our coops are secure at night and leave the coons and possums alone.

Quote:
you just need to double check and be sure the starting fluid you purchase contains either some does not contain either , when you use something for a purpose it was not intended for that is a another problem in most municipalities

here is some info on euthanasia chambers these are still not the type I have used / seen the ones I have used are produced by WCS I think

http://nwco.net/0531-stepthreelethaltoolsandtechniques/5-4-0-CarbonDioxideChamber.asp

Why not put the coon/other predator in a large garbage bag and seal it shut? The animal will be in complete darkness, and will gradually use up the available oxygen in the bag. They will then go to sleep peacefully, and die a quiet death. It may take several hours, but if you're in a hurry you'll have to shoot them.

Just find a local coon hunter or fur trapper in your area. During fur season they will be more than happy to dispatch and take your live coon and put it to good use.

Quote:
Because there's not a plastic garbage bag strong enough to withstand the teeth & claws of a raccoon, especially one in a panic because it was desperate for air. Kids, don't try this at home!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom