Trapping a racoon - can anyone share their experience with this?

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I trapped and released a racoon from my yard this morning I caught with a havahart next to my chicken coop. However there were 2 more in the tree next to the coop, not wanting to leave the trapped one. I think once I left with the trapped one the other 2 left because my wife didn't see any when she went out later.

Is it possible these other ones will be sp afraid of this experience that they'll not return? Should I keep trapping until they're all gone?
I'm curious who has gone the catch and release route and what was most successful

I trapped and released a racoon from my yard this morning I caught with a havahart next to my chicken coop. However there were 2 more in the tree next to the coop, not wanting to leave the trapped one. I think once I left with the trapped one the other 2 left because my wife didn't see any when she went out later.

Is it possible these other ones will be sp afraid of this experience that they'll not return? Should I keep trapping until they're all gone?
I'm curious who has gone the catch and release route and what was most successful
It's illegal to catch and release in most areas including mine so most people on here will just dispatch the predator. I think it's more likely they see the trap as a threat and will just avoid the trap but keep coming around.

I'm firmly in the "dispatch" camp. Raccoons here will keep coming around as long as there's something they want. Chickens, eggs, crops (like corn).

The two in the tree may have been the babies of the one in the trap. They may know enough to survive, they may not. But I doubt the trap and disappearance of the one raccoon will make them think your place is not a safe place to be.

.22 shell and a shovel. No catch and release here. Like said...they will come back. Even if your thinking about releasing it further away, your just giving the problem to someone else.

ETA... I dispatch any and all predators I catch. Raptors are illegal to dispatch. Mostly I just deal with coons and possums here.

Last edited:

If your coop or run is predator proof and or if you are not having problems with them there is no need to trap them.
There will always be more.
As stated as long as food source they will be back. If they get out of trap or spring it just make them smarter.
I use a 1 1/2 jaw trap with hole set for nuisance coon or possum and a 22 to put them to sleep.
I do not trap them unless there is a problem.
The coon and possum will leave if they can not get access to your birds, feed, eggs, etc. They will look for other hunting grounds.

I don't think a raccoon has the mindset to become scared of what it saw. They're still around I can assure you. And like said its more than likely illegal to relocate. Here in louisiana the law is that a nuisance animal must be dispatched (killed) within 12 hours of capture. No other alternatives

I don't think a raccoon has the mindset to become scared of what it saw. They're still around I can assure you. And like said its more than likely illegal to relocate. Here in louisiana the law is that a nuisance animal must be dispatched (killed) within 12 hours of capture. No other alternatives
Yea I heard it was illegal I was just joking though đź«Ł

Back
Top Bottom