Trapping an owl.... who has done it?

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I seen pictures on here with an owl caught in a trap? I think it was killing someones ducks.... Anyhow, I was curious to see how the thing was caught.

Not really interested on people opinions on the legalities of it... just really want to know is it possible to trap one and how?

They seem to kill them and do nothing.... they don't even eat them. Plus they never just kill one....

I know. I always bring in all the cats before dark. This one would not come in that night & of course this was the night the owl decided to be around my farm.

Quote:
Are you sure it is an owl? I have never had them just kill - they usually at least eat the head/neck/crop/chest.

This is the time most are raising babies, so they are hunting extra heavy.

Lived in this house for 5 years before the owls started snacking on my ducks - now have to put the ducks in at night. I am fairly sure the "snacker" is from last years clutch.

I'm not 100% but whatever it is has killed turkey's, ducks, and chickens. I will find 2-3 ducks scattered over my fields about 100 yards away from the pond, almost like something swooped them off the pond and dropped them. What will do that?

Last year also had a problem with turkeys, they slept outside a few nights and I lost about 20 in one night. Every one of them had some feathers missing off the back but not one had torn skin or ate. Coyotes, foxes, and coons do not do that. Dogs could be it, but now that it's happening to the ducks.... it's has to be a owl. I've lost three chickens early this morning. The chickens come out right at dawn when it's still dark and the owls seem to wait for them. I can fix the chicken problem but the ducks are not so easy to lock up at night.

I don't think dog because the ducks go into the water at the first sign of danger and sleep on the waters edge at night.... a lot of times they are in the pond at night.

Very frustrated.

Quote:
That is strange. I've NEVER heard of a bird of prey that kills for sport. Could it be something else? A dog comes to mind...but when you mentioned the water, hmm? Keep in mind, owls usually do NOT hunt near water, one might wait on the edge of the creek, and snatch fish out with it's talons. But an owl snatching a duck out of water while flying is hard to believe. Owl feathers are not designed for water, when they get wet, they get soaked, and then they can't fly. If an owl missed snatching a duck out of the pond and hit the water, it would drown. Here any hoots or screeches at night?

Quote:
Guarantee you it is not a bird of prey, owl or otherwise. They don't kill for sport and aren't wasteful when they do kill unless scared off the meal. You need to look elsewhere for a culprit.

Back
Top Bottom