Trapping Raccoons Around Coops

Thank you all for your input. I will continue on with the plan. These mornings are weird that's for sure.
And in case anyone was wondering, much akin to school aged children, Cookie Crisps are irresistible to racoons.

I was the odd kid that didn’t care for Cookie Crisp…still makes me cringe slightly as one time my mother bought an insane number of Cookie Crisp (or it seemed to my kids mind) bc it was on sale. She refused to buy any other cereal until Cookie Crisp was gone…long enough for me to still shake my head when I pass the Cookie Crisp section in the grocery. My kids have never been fed Cookie Crisp purely based on my kid experience. That aside, coons around here find mini marshmallows quite delightful.

After a year and half we had a predator attack our 2 coops. It killed 2 pet ducks and 3 meat birds from us. I have reinforced our coops to be predator proof so that isn't my question.
I dropped traps around the coops and now every morning since the attacks I have to relocate racoons to the great trash can in the sky.
At what point am I trapping/hunting racoons and no longer protecting the flocks? Am I inviting them closer with bait? Or am I still dealing with active predators that should continue to be trap
I trap coons away from where I keep my chickens. I give chickens left over food at times, but away from where chickens live in my barn. The scent.
Since coons as said travel at times in family packs, may take trapping a few to get rid of of the trouble makers.
I stop trapping when when I do not see any more signs of the trouble makers. I also will set up a game camera once I start having problems.
Also as mentioned if you kill 5 out of 10 the other 5 will keep coming knowing there is a food source. I know for a fact.
My theory is if the predators do not bother me or my animals, I do not bother them.
Racoons can be very destructive also.

I forgot as a side note, Raccoon, Possum can also carry parasites of which I do not want around I do not want their fecal matter around in my buildings. I do not want either in my outbuildings. Like I said I do not mind them as long as they do not effect me.

Back
Top Bottom