Traumatized Hen...Internal injuries or just shock? *Happy Update*

Hello, one of my chickens got out of the fence and my dog attacked it. It doesnt have puncture wounds so i would assume its in shock. How much sugar water should I be giving it?

I wanted to share the happy ending with this chicken. After a week, she was still apparently paralyzed, and we feared she was destined to stay that way. It was a sunny day, and we figured since nothing else was helping we might as well let her have a little sunshine. We took her out to the barnyard and set her down. As soon as she saw the other chickens, she got up on her feet and took several steps. We were in a state of total shock! This was a chicken that couldn't even stand on her own legs five minutes beforehand.

We stayed out with her for about another 30 minutes, and she made several more wobbly jaunts. We decided to take her back inside that night, because we didn't feel she was stable enough to hold her own with the more dominant hens. The next day we set her loose with the flock. For a few more days we gave her special treatment (hand fed scratch, water from a dropper) when we went to the barnyard, just to be on the safe side.

She's been on her own for almost two weeks, and she now looks like one of the healthiest, most vigorous hens in the flock!
I'm impressed with you! Good job!
And everyone can learn from this. What a happy ending!

I am in the same situation with my hen the only thing is that her stool seems tarry so I am worried about internal bleeding. I have been giving her some vitamin water and mealy worms. Not sure what else to give her.

Back
Top Bottom