Traveling

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Not sure which forum is best for this question, but hopefully this is the right one.

I have 4 girls who I absolutely adore...especially one in particular. Anyway, I am worried about leaving them when I travel. I have no real reason to, but I wanted your encouragement or any advice you can give me. I have had them since August. One is laying. Another is close. The other two might be awhile. We are traveling out of state for 1 week in Nov and about 10 days in Dec. The girls "free range" in my tiny back yard. They have never tried to escape. No daytime predator problems...at least foreseeable ones. They are let out in the morning and put away at night. They have a large food bin and waterer. I visit with them several times a day just to say hi and give them a few treats or something.

My neighbor can let them in and out and collect eggs. She can also check the food and water to make sure it doesn't run out and to refresh it a couple times while we're away.

Is there any reason to worry?

Bree

I think your chickens will be just fine if you have someone checking on them and letting them out to play. But, could you please reassure me that when I go on vacation in June?
hmm.png

I have a teen in my neighborhood that I call on to pet/house/yard sit for me. Have never had a serious problem. Course the hens got a steady diet of scratch. In fact they weren't happy to see me come back.
lol.png

Imp- there are a few other stories, but nothing that would be bad for any of the pets.

Of course there's reason to worry! These are your babies and you're leaving them for the first time. You'd probably get kicked off BYC if you weren't worried about them.
lol.png
I think most of us do feel apprehensive about leaving our animals. However, they will probably be fine, especially with your neighbor checking on them. Maybe you could set up a web-cam in the coop and check in on them every night from your vacation.
smile.png

Ooh...I like the webcam idea too. Hmm....

I have new reason to worry, but I can fix it...Matilda jumped onto the top of the coop yesterday for the first time. From there she could have leapt right out of the yard. They have NEVER jumped anywhere near that high. I have a dorky fence I use to keep them out of the garden and they could easily jump over it, but never do. Guess I will have to extend the fence in a couple places to make sure they can't escape. The only reason she jumped up there is because Cadbury scared her.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Bree

I can't the way it is set up right now, but I am going to extend the fence in that area. There have been no escape attempts and they are only getting bigger and heavier so I think I'll be okay.

Thanks. I think they will be okay.

Bree

When we have to go away my mail carrier stops by every day to replenish everything and to check on everyone. She is a "chicken lady" herself, but I leave her detailed instructions and phone #s for my son, my daughter and, of course, us. All this is for my own peace of mind... she KNOWS what she is doing. Your chickens will be fine! Have a great trip!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom