Treadle feeder training

LaBull

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
I have built a treadle feeder recently and have begun using it to feed my chooks. For a few weeks I have left the cover open so they know where their food is. The last week I have tried training them to step on the plate to open the cover but every time the cover opens they get scared and jump away. I have used shredded cheese (their favorite treat) as a training aid, placing it on the step and inside with the feed but getting no result. The movement scares them. Does anyone have any training ideas to get my birds using the feeder?

I have a Grandpa's and it has two holes drilled on either side that you put a bolt through (secured with a nut) and prop the lid open. Hold one holds it fully open, so there's no treadle action at all. Hole two holds it part way open, so the lid lifts and moves but doesn't close fully. Mine are at the hole two stage now without any issues. Next week I'll take bolt out and it will close fully from then on.

So I would try to find a way to have them learn to trust the feeder in stages.

I would suggest devising a way to make it so the chickens only do a partial open on it and you increase the amount needed at intervals(every day, every other day, etc etc.)

So what you have now is a treadle feeder with it lid open 100%, so come up with a way to have the lid stop at 90% open and the chickens will actuate the treadle so it only moves the lid the last 10%, leave it like that till they are used to it. just set it up at 90% and leave it to them, they will get used to the lid moving when they get hungry enough. Then reconfigure it so it stays open at 80% and they will lift the lid the last 20$, just keep lowering the lid like this and they should adjust to it nicely.

Rightio. I'll give this a go. I have a off cut piece of timber opening it 100% at the moment. I'll just keep shortening the length. Sounds like a plan. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom