Treated for mites but still not acting right

MikeS(erama)

Songster
13 Years
May 8, 2010
Massachussetts
My serama hen started acting strange about a week ago. She couldn't walk right, when she did walk she would kind of use her wing as a crutch. She was basically just acting really weak. I was mostly figuring it was due to her being so tiny and laying so many eggs (5 in 6 days). I had read about mites on here, but when I checked I hadn't seen any. Finally a couple days ago I was checking her over again, and I saw a little brown mite crawling near her vent. I picked up some 5% sevin dust and dusted both her and the roo, and cleaned out their cage and washed it out. I also picked up some vitamin/electrolyte mix and have been giving her that to see if that would help her spring back from the mites. Well here it is 2 days later, and she still doesn't seem to want to walk and is still acting pretty weak. She eats like a pig, drinks, and poops just fine. She seems to be very alert, but i just seems like she just doesn't want to walk around. We have 2 brooders of chicks, one right above the serama's cage, the Serama roo living with her and no one else is showing any signs of whatever this is, so I know it's not some kind of disease. Just curious as to what you guys think it is. If it was just mites and being tired from laying so many eggs (she layed her 6th yesterday), am I looking at a long recoup time from the mites, or is there something else I'm missing here?

MikeS(erama) :

My serama hen started acting strange about a week ago. She couldn't walk right, when she did walk she would kind of use her wing as a crutch. She was basically just acting really weak. I was mostly figuring it was due to her being so tiny and laying so many eggs (5 in 6 days). I had read about mites on here, but when I checked I hadn't seen any. Finally a couple days ago I was checking her over again, and I saw a little brown mite crawling near her vent. I picked up some 5% sevin dust and dusted both her and the roo, and cleaned out their cage and washed it out. I also picked up some vitamin/electrolyte mix and have been giving her that to see if that would help her spring back from the mites. Well here it is 2 days later, and she still doesn't seem to want to walk and is still acting pretty weak. She eats like a pig, drinks, and poops just fine. She seems to be very alert, but i just seems like she just doesn't want to walk around. We have 2 brooders of chicks, one right above the serama's cage, the Serama roo living with her and no one else is showing any signs of whatever this is, so I know it's not some kind of disease. Just curious as to what you guys think it is. If it was just mites and being tired from laying so many eggs (she layed her 6th yesterday), am I looking at a long recoup time from the mites, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Hi Mike, I am wondering if he may have injured her in the mating process now that you are mentioning everyone else is fine. Plus with her laying so many eggs she would be stressed and then having him get at her. I am glad she is eating dringking and pooping fine, so lets see what others here think as well. This is a puzzle to me too.​

MikeS(erama) :

sounds like the mite and the weakness are not connected. be careful not to use too much sevin dust. it can be hard on a tiny bird who is in a weak state. de is way more gentle. you also should not eat or hatch the eggs after you use sevin. could she have swallowed a foreign object? how does her crop look? there are alot of things that can happen to any animal. hopefully someone with alot of knowledge will see this thread and be able to help.​

Actually, there's no reason the eggs can't be eaten after using Sevin dust. You should wash the eggs well in case any of the dust got on the shell when it was laid, but other than that, there are no concerns. Sevin dust is typically "zero days to harvest" when used on vegetable plants, so chickens shouldn't be any different. I confirmed this with my Dad who is retired from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture.

Back
Top Bottom