treated vs untreated coop * pics pg 2

I had the same fears expressed to me when I was designing my coop, and based on advice found here at BYC I used treated lumber for ground contact timbers and posts, and regular lumber for the rest. I used plenty of green Douglas Fir framing lumber and either stained it, or primed it with Kilz and painted it with porch paint.

I think a lot of the misconceptions and worries about treated lumber are unfounded now, because the formulation for treating wood has been changed to materials that are far less hazardous than what was once routinely used. The predominant chemical used to be CCA, or Cupric Chromic Arsenate, which is made from a number of extremely hazardous chemicals and processes that include powdered Arsenic, strong Hydrogen Peroxide, Hydrochloric and Chromic Acids. Truly nasty stuff to anything that came in contact with it and there were problems with it leaching into the soil. But it would sure preserve a 4x4 post.

These days the stuff they use is much less toxic, and using treated lumber is not only fine, it is definitely indicated for any application where there is contact with the ground.

wink.png

13567_020700_064801.jpg

13567_020700_064800.jpg

this is my first time with pictures, i hope it turns out. if so more to come. these coops i am building in my playroom (converted garage). they are 2ft x 2ft x 4ft long. i am making personal pens to breed my ameraucana fowl to start documenting who is who. i sold the last of my Cochin last night and the NPIP tester will be here on the 16th so trying to get it all done. it doesn't have to be but want to get it done. lol

please let me know if you can see the pictures.

Thank you,

cray

one more picture. almost finished, got it painted and put outside. thank you to everyone

13567_020700_170600.jpg

Hey guys - just found this post and wondering: why do you suggest to paint the roosts if they're made from treated lumber??? I have a coop (I regret to say I didn't make it myself), that was constructed entirely of treated lumber. Will the chicks peck at the roost? What else should I paint inside the coop???
hmm.png

Quote:
Yes, treated lumber is more expensive. I only use it for ground contact. Other than that I don't see any advantage of using it. If you try painting what you got you may have to wait a while. Paint doesn't stick too good to new treated lumber. Post some pics. Will

I'm an avid builder and treated 2X4's are normally 60-90 cents cheaper ber 8' board in the winter than a regular non-treated stud. Went to local Lowes yesterday and they had just increased the price to match the regular stud. If your doing ANY outdoor building....deck, fench, coop, shed...buy your wood in the winter; it's much cheaper. As soon as it warms up and the "mass" of people start "moving" again the price of treated wood goes up. Actually by April/May through Sept/Oct all wood goes up. It is a commodity.....
just my 2 cents with

Normal census on painting treated lumber is one season....bought in winter, paint in spring etc. etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom