Treating Ascites with Lasix/ water pills?

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
Hello, I’ve had issues with ascites in my hens for several years, I’ve had good success with draining in the past but wanting to try something less invasive if possible, want to know your experiences with using water pills, the regimen and dosages you used, etc. thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thank you, I found out that my neighbor accidentally gave me doxycycline instead (thank goodness it was something used in chickens). In addition to that, her droppings have become yellowish and almost eggy looking, wondering if perhaps she had internal laying instead? Perhaps both are ailing her, as there is still orange tinged fluid around her droppings. But the fact that the antibiotic helped makes me wonder if she’s got some kind of infection. She hasn’t given up and acts like she wants to live, so I’m hoping to give her some relief for a while anyway. Thanks for the articles! They are very informative. I think I will continue with the antibiotics (supplementing with probiotics of course.) and see if she improves at all, if not I’ll probably take her to the vets. I researched doxycyclin, so I’ll be monitoring her carefully.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom