Treating Cannibalism Wounds?? PLEASE HELP

44Wolves

Here is Your New Title
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
I previously had another thread on this issue but it was no help really. The issue has gotten worse. After returning home after 2 days of leaving her alone, I discovered the wound has lots of black flesh. I'm assuming that is nercotic flesh or something? How do I remove it? It gets cold in the coop, and has been below freezing in there. Her wound is basically the entire back of her head. The feathers have all been pulled out and she is missing what looks like a layer of flesh. There are some parts with feathers on them around the wound that I can lift up to reveal the flesh underneath. What do I do about those? I can seperate her now most likely. Blu kote is being delivered on Monday. I need to know
How to remove he dead flesh
What an infected wound looks like and how to treat it
What to do with the flesh I can lift up
How to treat the wound

I previously had another thread on this issue but it was no help really. The issue has gotten worse. After returning home after 2 days of leaving her alone, I discovered the wound has lots of black flesh. I'm assuming that is nercotic flesh or something? How do I remove it? It gets cold in the coop, and has been below freezing in there. Her wound is basically the entire back of her head. The feathers have all been pulled out and she is missing what looks like a layer of flesh. There are some parts with feathers on them around the wound that I can lift up to reveal the flesh underneath. What do I do about those? I can seperate her now most likely. Blu kote is being delivered on Monday. I need to know
How to remove he dead flesh
What an infected wound looks like and how to treat it
What to do with the flesh I can lift up
How to treat the wound
She has to be separated,and kept warm,when ill/injured chickens cannot regulate their body temp. Give her electrolytes for shock/stabilize her.

There are a couple of ways to remove dead tissue. Wet to dry dressing is when a gauze bandage is moistened with sterile water,then applied to wound,let bandage dry,then remove dry dressing,dead tissue should come off with bandage,repeat until all dead tissue is gone.

Or you can try autolytic debridement,apply vetericyn hydrogel to bandage,cover wound,this technique allows white blood cells and enzymes to break down necrotic tissue(apply new bandage when you see fluid leaking through)but will take longer. I will be honest,not sure how well this technique works.

Cut away necrotic tissue. All methods will cause some pain. After tissue is removed,clean wound with a diluted peroxide solution initially,then clean daily with a saline solution,apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens) Leave uncovered,wound will heal from inside out.

Cut away feathers before treatment. Is the skin underneath dead tissue healthy? If the wound is infected you will have to surgically cut necrotic tissue away as there is a risk of a serious infection(sepsis)which can spread throughout body.

For pain you can give her a baby aspirin(81mg)or a reg(325mg)aspirin,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally to her. You can also purchase metacam from a vet for pain relief. Is taking her to a vet an option?

Make sure she is eating/drinking,most important she drinks,chickens can become dehydrated very fast. If she is not eating/drinking,you might want to consider tubing fluids into her,very easy to do.

Last edited:
I use a very soft bristle toothbrush for cleaning of wounds and skin areas. Can also be used to apply the vaseline to legs for scaly mites, gets inbetwen the scales and crevices.

I have 3 different ones in my kit now, can be purchased cheap at a dollar store. When using for wound cleaning make sure you clean it after use, hot water & bleach. Or toss it if you don't want to go through the trouble.

Embrodiery scissors work well for removing dead tissue, cuticle remover bllade for small areas.

Ten chicks - gives very good advice on the woumd treatment, I agree.

Thanks-- we will probably try to remove the tissue in a few minutes. Here are some pictures of her wounds. She also has been having very liquidy poop---- well, more water, and only a small amount of feces. A picture of that is also attached. Does that mean anything?

She is still having diarrhea---- have not yet removed the necrotic tissue, but probably will use the wet dry way.
When my Blu Kote arrives, how should I use it? Just spray it on? And then do I do anything after I spray it?

Back
Top Bottom