Treating Coccidiosis with Corid

Jen Tevyaw

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
Hello,

My chickens seem to have Coccidiosis :( We don't have a vet near who can diagnosis but they have all the symptoms and 2 chickens have just recenty passed.
I ordered the CORID 20% soluble powder and it just arrived today after a 3 week wait for it! I read here on the forum the dosages for dilution to use in a waterer. My chickens free range here on our 2 acre lot and I do not have a pen to keep them in to make sure they drink all the medicated water. Is it possible to give them the solution by syringe? And if yes at what dosage?

Thanks for any help or insights!

Are there other water sources on your property? They don't need to drink "all" the water solution, but it needs to be the only water they have access to. The dosing is based on the average water intake per day, so if they drink other water sources they won't get enough of the medication. Can you put up a temporary fence to keep them confined during treatment? Depending on how many you have, maybe crate them?
You can give an oral dose, but that is intended to be supplemental to the medicated water, to help get the medication level up quicker, it's not intended to be the whole treatment. They still need to drink the medicated water.
Oral dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Are there other water sources on your property? They don't need to drink "all" the water solution, but it needs to be the only water they have access to. The dosing is based on the average water intake per day, so if they drink other water sources they won't get enough of the medication. Can you put up a temporary fence to keep them confined during treatment? Depending on how many you have, maybe crate them?
You can give an oral dose, but that is intended to be supplemental to the medicated water, to help get the medication level up quicker, it's not intended to be the whole treatment. They still need to drink the medicated water.
Oral dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Ok thanks...They do have other sources of water, mostly puddles! Hopefully it dries up here soon. I will try to create a pen to keep them in as I also don't want to leave the medicated water out in case our cats go and drink it.

I don't know if the cats would drink it, they might smell it and go else where. I can cause issues if they were to get too much, but at the dose you are giving to the chickens I don't think it would be a problem. But if you can confine the birds, maybe cover the area with netting to keep the cats out, that would be optimal. If they are drinking any other water you run the risk of the meds not being enough and not being effective.

Back
Top Bottom