Marek or Coccidiosis?

Judy4222

Songster
7 Years
Feb 19, 2017
Saint Cloud, Florida USA
I have a rooster that has not been able to stand up for six weeks now. He keeps eating and drinking. I did take a different chicken to the vet about six months ago and she had Coccidiosis. She died.

When I first noticed that he was having trouble standing, I separated him. Now it's like he is paralyzed except his head. I have seen him move his wing slightly. I thought he would've died by now, but he has a good appetite and poops good. I don't get it.

I know it isn't his back because I handle him regularly to change his bedding and bathe him, plus I have had other chickens with the same symptoms and they die shortly after I figure out that something is wrong.

I started out giving him corid then I switched to 4 in 1 powder.

I have him in my bedroom and the people I live with aren't to happy about it, so I'll have to eventually move him back out to the coop.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Do chickens recover from mareks and/or Coccidiosis?

I have used ammonia to try to clean and I've also poured it into the ground as much as possible. I have a humidifier going with Oxide in the coop. I don't know what else to do. I gave the outside chickens the 4 in 1 powder as a preventative measure for 7 days. Right now I'm deworming them, then I'll start with the 4 in 1 powder again.

It sounds like you may have Mareks disease in your flock. Do you have another rooster who could have injured him? I would stop with the ammonia, since the fumes are not good for the chickens, and it is the wrong kind of ammonia that can kill coccidia. I doubt that is what he has anyway. Oxine can be good to help with germs and disease. If there is Mareks, it has probably exposed all of your chickens. Virkon S tablets mixed into water as directed can be good to disinfect coops and equipment, but you cannot really disinfect for coccidiosis. It is in the soil and in poop. The best way to prevent coccidiosis is to keep your bedding as clean and dry as possible. Getting out on clean grass is good as well. If you put him down or lose him, the best way to get a diagnosis is to have the state vet lab do a necropsy, if the body is kept cold, not frozen and taken in. Here is a list of most state vets to call ahead and get more information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I think it is quaternary ammonia that kills coccidia organisms. More details may be found online. Some sites say that 10% ammonia may kill them. But that is not something I would use around chickens, and it can really irritate your lungs as well. Virkon S tablets may be found at Amazon and other online stores.

It sounds like you may have Mareks disease in your flock. Do you have another rooster who could have injured him? I would stop with the ammonia, since the fumes are not good for the chickens, and it is the wrong kind of ammonia that can kill coccidia. I doubt that is what he has anyway. Oxine can be good to help with germs and disease. If there is Mareks, it has probably exposed all of your chickens. Virkon S tablets mixed into water as directed can be good to disinfect coops and equipment, but you cannot really disinfect for coccidiosis. It is in the soil and in poop. The best way to prevent coccidiosis is to keep your bedding as clean and dry as possible. Getting out on clean grass is good as well. If you put him down or lose him, the best way to get a diagnosis is to have the state vet lab do a necropsy, if the body is kept cold, not frozen and taken in. Here is a list of most state vets to call ahead and get more information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I was afraid of it being mareks. I do have two other roosters. I noticed the very tip of the comb turned black. That was the first sign I had that something wasn't right with the ones that got sick. I will take him in for a necropsy when the time comes.

Why is he holding on so long. The others were gone within days.

I would try and treat for coccidiosis, if no improvement then I would assume Mareks. I would recommend sending the next bird (if any) who passes for a necropsy and PCR for Mareks to confirm if your flock is positive. If your flock is positive there's a lot of information of Mareks positive flocks online, don't lose hope.

I would try and treat for coccidiosis, if no improvement then I would assume Mareks. I would recommend sending the next bird (if any) who passes for a necropsy and PCR for Mareks to confirm if your flock is positive. If your flock is positive there's a lot of information of Mareks positive flocks online, don't lose hope.
Thank you.

The state poultry lab is in Kissimmee. It won’t hurt to treat him again for coccidiosis. Corid is easy to get, but some strains may be resistant, so toltrazuril or a sulfa drug is sometimes used. Most grown chickens develop a tolerance for small amounts of coccidia in the environment when they are a few months old. There are several methods of dispatching a chicken. I would talk to the state vet lab to see if they would do it before the necropsy. Let us know if you get any updates.

The state poultry lab is in Kissimmee. It won’t hurt to treat him again for coccidiosis. Corid is easy to get, but some strains may be resistant, so toltrazuril or a sulfa drug is sometimes used. Most grown chickens develop a tolerance for small amounts of coccidia in the environment when they are a few months old. There are several methods of dispatching a chicken. I would talk to the state vet lab to see if they would do it before the necropsy. Let us know if you get any updates.
I have both corid and toltrazuril. What do you mean by dispatching a chicken? I did the corid already, so I'll do the toltrazuril.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. It really helps to talk to people that are familiar with chickens. Can ducks and turkeys get mareks?

Back
Top Bottom