Why are these chicks dying?

I know they are not as hardy as standards
They can be once they get started. It's that shipping time that can do them in unfortunately. Especially the smaller breeds like d'uccles. I don't know if the farm stores put electrolytes in the waters or not. Once chicks start eating good they usually are okay as long as the brooder isn't too hot or cold.

As standard procedure, when chicks first get moved from the hatcher to the brooder, I put suppliments in the water, right now I have been using the rooster booster with molasses. Because I have turkeys, I always make sure there's B vitamins, since turkeys can develop thiamin deficiency easy, which looks like stargazing. I don't do bantams, though, but all chicks and poults have the capacity to become stressed during shipping and need additional support.

Bantams are much more fragile than standards. Being this time of year with the colder nights could have chilled them just enough to make them extra weak due to being shipped. I ordered two little Call Ducks recently. One had pasty butt and was lame and had to have a lot of TLC in order to make it. It is cold here in Ohio at night, in the 40's so I know the trip from Tennessee was not an easy one. It is fine now but needed a lot of extra care in order to survive.

Back
Top Bottom