Chicks from same parents died, now another one is ill

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
I am sorry to bother you all on a Sunday.
The end of August I lost 3 chicks. All were from the same mother and father. The parents are from my flock and look and act very healthy.
The chicks were hatched together in another coop and raised by a hen. They were around 4 to 5 weeks when they got sick. Lethargic and slow but eating and drinking. I brought them inside, treated them and the entire flock with corid for 10 days. Two stopped walking entirely. One seemed better. Once the corid was complete I gave them a dose of vitamin E with Selinium then started them on Poultry Cell mixed in their feed. 3 weeks from the start of treatment with corid all 3 died within two days of each other. Two of them seemed much stronger, one was walking fine, one was not but was trying. The other was not improving at all.
Now I have a 4.5 month old pullet from the same parents, but from another coop ill. Last week a 6 month cockerel from her pen and the same parents was lethargic and sort of hunched with fluffed featherrs, but he perked up after being pampered for the day.
The pullet was fine yesterday. This morning she is lethargic to the point that she just let me take her off the roost. I brought her inside and gave her a dose of nutri-drench. I had an unopened bottle of Tynan 50 that I bought for a "just in case" before Tractor Supply stopped selling it. I gave her 40mg orally. She is a very small bantam.
No other chickens in my flock have shown signs of being ill. I haven't added any outside chickens to the flock.
I have a mix of standard and bantam adults, pullets, and cockerels. There are also four 2 week old chicks with two hens from another coop. They are from the same parents as this girl.
My flock eats a 22% grower feed with calcium and grit on the side. They are control ranged and interact with each other daily.
Our weather has been wet and rainy but not cold. The mosquitoes have been horrible here but I do not see any signs of fowl pox on her.
If this girl dies, I will send her body off for a necropsy, but of course I want her to live.
Is there anything that you all can suggest that might help her?
Is there anything that might cause illness, in just chicks hatched from those particular parents.
20231029_092252.jpg

20231029_093821.jpg
Yesterday she looked like this
20231013_122859.jpg

I'm sorry about the grief you're experiencing with this tragedy. The not knowing what's causing it is, of course, the most maddening and anxiety provoking. Needing answers is most natural.

Getting a necropsy is by far the best thing to do. You ask about what it might show. The obvious possibility would be an avian virus being responsible, most probably lymphoid leucosis. It's passed to embryos in the eggs while Marek's is not. The two parents can be carriers or even one could be, and not exhibit any symptoms. While six weeks is a bit young for symptoms in chicks exposed to LL, it's not impossible.

The other causes would be environmental. Bad feed, mold, toxic substances such as insecticides could be responsible. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you have some answers.

I'm sorry about the grief you're experiencing with this tragedy. The not knowing what's causing it is, of course, the most maddening and anxiety provoking. Needing answers is most natural.

Getting a necropsy is by far the best thing to do. You ask about what it might show. The obvious possibility would be an avian virus being responsible, most probably lymphoid leucosis. It's passed to embryos in the eggs while Marek's is not. The two parents can be carriers or even one could be, and not exhibit any symptoms. While six weeks is a bit young for symptoms in chicks exposed to LL, it's not impossible.

The other causes would be environmental. Bad feed, mold, toxic substances such as insecticides could be responsible. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you have some answers.
Thank you. She died a few minutes ago. I'll be sending the body off for a necropsy.

I had an unopened bottle of Tynan 50 that I bought for a "just in case" before Tractor Supply stopped selling it. I gave her 40mg orally. She is a very small bantam.
:hugs@janiedoe I'm sorry about your pullet. Please do let us know what you find out from the lab results.

Just a note, perhaps you omitted a decimal point in your mention of giving 40mg of Tylan50? If you gave 40mg, then take note that dose is not correct.

Tylan has a dosage range is 10-40mg/kg given up to 3 times a day. Most treat respiratory symptoms (like Mycoplasma - bubbles in the eyes, coughing/sneezing/mucous, etc.) at a rate of 0.25ml per pound of weight of Tylan50 given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

:hugs@janiedoe I'm sorry about your pullet. Please do let us know what you find out from the lab results.

Just a note, perhaps you omitted a decimal point in your mention of giving 40mg of Tylan50? If you gave 40mg, then take note that dose is not correct.

Tylan has a dosage range is 10-40mg/kg given up to 3 times a day. Most treat respiratory symptoms (like Mycoplasma - bubbles in the eyes, coughing/sneezing/mucous, etc.) at a rate of 0.25ml per pound of weight of Tylan50 given orally 3 times a day
Thank you ( I did omit the decimal)
Very sorry for your losses. Good idea on getting a necropsy to look for a cause of death. In the meantime, look around for any toxin that may be in your environment. Check feed for mold or a bad odor, and make sure no neighbors are using poisons on lawns or for mice. Here is a list of the locations in TX of poultry labs to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/tests/necropsy-poultry/
Thank you.

The end of August I lost 3 chicks. All were from the same mother and father. The parents are from my flock and look and act very healthy.
The chicks were hatched together in another coop and raised by a hen. They were around 4 to 5 weeks when they got sick. Lethargic and slow but eating and drinking. I brought them inside, treated them and the entire flock with corid for 10 days. Two stopped walking entirely. One seemed better. Once the corid was complete I gave them a dose of vitamin E with Selinium then started them on Poultry Cell mixed in their feed. 3 weeks from the start of treatment with corid all 3 died within two days of each other. Two of them seemed much stronger, one was walking fine, one was not but was trying. The other was not improving at all.
Now I have a 4.5 month old pullet from the same parents, but from another coop ill. Last week a 6 month cockerel from her pen and the same parents was lethargic and sort of hunched with fluffed featherrs, but he perked up after being pampered for the day.
The pullet was fine yesterday. This morning she is lethargic to the point that she just let me take her off the roost. I brought her inside and gave her a dose of nutri-drench. I had an unopened bottle of Tynan 50 that I bought for a "just in case" before Tractor Supply stopped selling it. I gave her 40mg orally. She is a very small bantam.
No other chickens in my flock have shown signs of being ill. I haven't added any outside chickens to the flock.
I have a mix of standard and bantam adults, pullets, and cockerels. There are also four 2 week old chicks with two hens from another coop. They are from the same parents as this girl.
My flock eats a 22% grower feed with calcium and grit on the side. They are control ranged and interact with each other daily.
Our weather has been wet and rainy but not cold. The mosquitoes have been horrible here but I do not see any signs of fowl pox on her.
If this girl dies, I will send her body off for a necropsy, but of course I want her to live.
Is there anything that might cause illness, in just chicks hatched from those particular parents.
View attachment 3670737
View attachment 3670748Yesterday she looked like this
View attachment 3670738
So sorry for the loss of this girl! Please let us know what the necropsy shows. Thank you!

View attachment 3670737
View attachment 3670748Yesterday she looked like this
View attachment 3670738

:hugsI'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope you figure it out, and I'm here if you need a shoulder!

Back
Top Bottom