Marek or Coccidiosis?

Judy4222

Songster
7 Years
Feb 19, 2017
Saint Cloud, Florida USA
I have a rooster that has not been able to stand up for six weeks now. He keeps eating and drinking. I did take a different chicken to the vet about six months ago and she had Coccidiosis. She died.

When I first noticed that he was having trouble standing, I separated him. Now it's like he is paralyzed except his head. I have seen him move his wing slightly. I thought he would've died by now, but he has a good appetite and poops good. I don't get it.

I know it isn't his back because I handle him regularly to change his bedding and bathe him, plus I have had other chickens with the same symptoms and they die shortly after I figure out that something is wrong.

I started out giving him corid then I switched to 4 in 1 powder.

I have him in my bedroom and the people I live with aren't to happy about it, so I'll have to eventually move him back out to the coop.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Do chickens recover from mareks and/or Coccidiosis?

I have used ammonia to try to clean and I've also poured it into the ground as much as possible. I have a humidifier going with Oxide in the coop. I don't know what else to do. I gave the outside chickens the 4 in 1 powder as a preventative measure for 7 days. Right now I'm deworming them, then I'll start with the 4 in 1 powder again.

The timing is possible, from what I've read it can really show up right about POL for pullets. No matter what it is, it will be almost impossible to pinpoint exactly how it entered your flock but if those are the only birds you've added, then it's probably as close to a smoking gun as you will find.

Did those chicks get sick first? Do you know if any of your flock was vaccinated for Mareks? Were they under any kind of additional stress when the symptoms first showed up?

For transparency, I lost two pullets at 4 1/2 and then another at 5 1/2 months old, sent the second one in for a necropsy and Mareks was confirmed. I had 1 group of chicks I hatched last summer, all the others were from the feed stores over the last 4 years, my own chicks of course weren't vaccinated and Mareks is really hitting them hard. This started in November last year for me.
Well, my Easter egger died. I will be contacting the necropsy office tomorrow. I don't have room in my fridge . I double bagged her with two large igloo ice blocks.

Well, my Easter egger died. I will be contacting the necropsy office tomorrow. I don't have room in my fridge . I double bagged her with two large igloo ice blocks.
I'm so sorry, but yes, the ice blocks should be fine you just don't want the tissues to freeze.

Depending on the lab, you can expect a preliminary report in 3 to 5 days, and a final report in 2 or 3 weeks.

Sorry again for your loss. Most feed stores do not vaccinate birds because many people do not want vaccinated birds, but mainly because they cost more. Some feel that vaccinating birds can cause the Mareks virus to further mutate. Vaccinated birds can still get the disease. Here are a couple of good articles to read about Mareks:
https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/vdl/colorado-avian-health-program/mareks-disease/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Sorry, my mistake, but I only saw the one page of the report. It was hard to read sideways, but I missed one whole page. I did not see the clostridium or the eimeria species. She had both enteritis (C. perfringens ) and coccidiosis. Enteritis is treated with several antibiotics, such as amoxicillin and others. Coccidiosis is usually treated with Corid, but toltrazuril or sulfa antibiotics may be necessary if it is a more severe strain.

Yes, I would say the condition and decay might have been related to the enteritis. Here is a good article about enteritis:
https://extension.psu.edu/avian-necrotic-enteritis#:~:text=This disease can cause high mortality, primarily in juvenile broilers.&text=The causative agent of necrotic,C.
I had no idea such a thing existed 😳 I hope the OP can find a successful treatment.

Here are the final results.

Attachments

• 20240209_113926.jpg
    20240209_113926.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240209_113917.jpg
    20240209_113917.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 18
It sounds like you may have Mareks disease in your flock. Do you have another rooster who could have injured him? I would stop with the ammonia, since the fumes are not good for the chickens, and it is the wrong kind of ammonia that can kill coccidia. I doubt that is what he has anyway. Oxine can be good to help with germs and disease. If there is Mareks, it has probably exposed all of your chickens. Virkon S tablets mixed into water as directed can be good to disinfect coops and equipment, but you cannot really disinfect for coccidiosis. It is in the soil and in poop. The best way to prevent coccidiosis is to keep your bedding as clean and dry as possible. Getting out on clean grass is good as well. If you put him down or lose him, the best way to get a diagnosis is to have the state vet lab do a necropsy, if the body is kept cold, not frozen and taken in. Here is a list of most state vets to call ahead and get more information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom