Treating Depluming Mites?

Jun 12, 2018
Hello everyone! I was hoping I might be able to get some advice for dealing with depluming mites. I finally figured out that was what my silkie had, after months of trying all different topical treatments without seeing any bugs, but her feather condition continuing to worsen. She constantly preens and has broken feathers right down to her skin, balding patches, and nothing but feather shafts left of most of her poor little wings. She also hasn't molted in about a year, which I think might be something to do with the mites?

Now that I know what is going on, I am trying to figure out the best way to treat her. I've heard that Ivermectin treatments and sulfur baths are supposed to help, but I would really like some help with the dosing information? I had already tried Ivermectin pour on, which didn't really seem to do anything. I was wondering if the oral drench would be better than the topical version for depluming mites? And if so, how much would I give her per pound of body weight for a 0.08% solution? And how often? If the topical pour on version is better, how much for a bantam hen, and how often should it be applied? Maybe I didn't use enough before?

I wanted to make sure my poor girl gets relief, so I was hoping that trying a sulfur bath in conjunction with the Ivermectin treatments might help? I am just not sure what kind of sulfur and how much is supposed to be used? I wouldn't want to use too much or the wrong kind, I don't want to irritate her skin more. When I Googled it, something called "flowers of sulfur" came up, and they are supposed to be available in pet shops? However, when I looked them up, I wasn't able to find any here. I think they might be available only in other countries, and I live in the US. Is there an equivalent here that I could use? Thank you in advance for your help! My poor little Wren has been dealing with this for ages and I just want her to feel better.

You would use Ivermectin 1% and withdraw it with a needle syringe. The dose for small chickens is two drops on the back of the neck directly on the skin. Use three to four drops for medium size chickens and five drops for large breeds. Repeat in two weeks.

You likely will see little improvement in the plumage until the chicken completes their next annual molt.

Hello everyone! I was hoping I might be able to get some advice for dealing with depluming mites. I finally figured out that was what my silkie had, after months of trying all different topical treatments without seeing any bugs, but her feather condition continuing to worsen. She constantly preens and has broken feathers right down to her skin, balding patches, and nothing but feather shafts left of most of her poor little wings. She also hasn't molted in about a year, which I think might be something to do with the mites?

Now that I know what is going on, I am trying to figure out the best way to treat her. I've heard that Ivermectin treatments and sulfur baths are supposed to help, but I would really like some help with the dosing information? I had already tried Ivermectin pour on, which didn't really seem to do anything. I was wondering if the oral drench would be better than the topical version for depluming mites? And if so, how much would I give her per pound of body weight for a 0.08% solution? And how often? If the topical pour on version is better, how much for a bantam hen, and how often should it be applied? Maybe I didn't use enough before?

I wanted to make sure my poor girl gets relief, so I was hoping that trying a sulfur bath in conjunction with the Ivermectin treatments might help? I am just not sure what kind of sulfur and how much is supposed to be used? I wouldn't want to use too much or the wrong kind, I don't want to irritate her skin more. When I Googled it, something called "flowers of sulfur" came up, and they are supposed to be available in pet shops? However, when I looked them up, I wasn't able to find any here. I think they might be available only in other countries, and I live in the US. Is there an equivalent here that I could use? Thank you in advance for your help! My poor little Wren has been dealing with this for ages and I just want her to feel better.
Ivermectin would be your best bet from what I’ve read, and dosage depends on the weight of the chicken. How many times did you treat her with the ivermectin the first time you tried it? Did you ensure it put directly on her skin so it would be absorbed? I’ve read to apply once weekly up to three times.

Do you have any pictures of the chicken? With ivermectin pour on 5mg per ml, the dosage for any bird is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight. Or 0.05 ml per pound. Repeat this in 14 days. Again, it may take until the annual molt to see new feathers grow in. Hopefully this helps. This link has a good picture what to look for with depluming mites:
https://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/depluming-mites/

I know this is late to the topic, but for future reference to others looking at this thread...

For depluming mites, I apply Eprinex. The life cycle of the depluming mite is 17 days, so I reapply every 17 days for a total of 3 applications - just to be sure I've gotten them all. I do this every 6 months. I just have regular sized chickens (leghorns, sexlinks, etc.), not the large breeds. For my chickens, I apply 13 drops (using a regular sized medicine dropper) on the back of the neck) from the shoulder area and down the spine a little.

The easiest way to do this (for me), is to have a helper who grabs them from their roost in their henhouse AT NIGHT (which is closed up so they can't get out). Then my helper holds them for me while I apply the Eprinex drops. Afterward, the helper puts the hen back in the run-not the henhouse. We go through the whole flock like that, and then let them all back into the henhouse.

Why 13 drops? When I first started this process, I measured out 1/2cc for each chicken, and it always came down to about 13 drops. Furthermore, you can't really OD them with this, so you don't have to worry about giving a little too much.

Lastly, I don't go through a withdrawal period for egg consumption when using Eprinex. That's the beauty of using this product. We eat the eggs and all is fine. I have used this now for 4.5 years with no problems. I have learned that Eprinex does seem to shorten the shelf life of the eggs by quite a bit, so I recommend those eggs are consumed sooner, not later to avoid them going bad on you.

Thanks @mscherilyn for this information. I had never heard of this product before. It's in the same class as Ivermectin but the advantage, as you state, is that there is no egg withdrawal. It's nice to know there's an alternative.

I know this is late to the topic, but for future reference to others looking at this thread...

For depluming mites, I apply Eprinex. The life cycle of the depluming mite is 17 days, so I reapply every 17 days for a total of 3 applications - just to be sure I've gotten them all. I do this every 6 months. I just have regular sized chickens (leghorns, sexlinks, etc.), not the large breeds. For my chickens, I apply 13 drops (using a regular sized medicine dropper) on the back of the neck) from the shoulder area and down the spine a little.

The easiest way to do this (for me), is to have a helper who grabs them from their roost in their henhouse AT NIGHT (which is closed up so they can't get out). Then my helper holds them for me while I apply the Eprinex drops. Afterward, the helper puts the hen back in the run-not the henhouse. We go through the whole flock like that, and then let them all back into the henhouse.

Why 13 drops? When I first started this process, I measured out 1/2cc for each chicken, and it always came down to about 13 drops. Furthermore, you can't really OD them with this, so you don't have to worry about giving a little too much.

Lastly, I don't go through a withdrawal period for egg consumption when using Eprinex. That's the beauty of using this product. We eat the eggs and all is fine. I have used this now for 4.5 years with no problems. I have learned that Eprinex does seem to shorten the shelf life of the eggs by quite a bit, so I recommend those eggs are consumed sooner, not later to avoid them going bad on you.
Thanks for bringing this option up. Can you show a picture of the Eprinex?

Thank you for sharing this. Do you treat the run area with anything as well?

Back
Top Bottom