Treating for Mites

chickensforkids

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Last week I noticed some mites on one of my chickens. I ordered Elector PSP, it arrived today, and tomorrow I'm going to tackle spraying all of my chickens and coop. Before I begin though I have a few questions... Do just spray the neck and the vent area on the chickens, or do I need to get their entire body? I'm planning on cleaning out the entire coop, and nesting boxes and spraying them down. About 2 weeks ago we added sand for the first time underneath our roosts and in their outdoor area. Do I need to remove the sand from the coop to spray underneath it, or can I just spray on the sand? Do I need to spray outside too? Also, is it likely the mites came in the sand, or is it just a coincidence? I've been checking the chickens every month or so, and it seemed like the mites showed up right after the sand. Thanks!

Follow the directions on the package! Mites and lice usually arrive on birds, especially wild birds. I've recently discovered permethrin spray, and love it! Mites and lice are the pits IMO. Mary

Thanks for your response. I sprayed everyone down, cleaned and swept the coop, and then practically drenched the coop. I'm hopeful that I got them all!

Back
Top Bottom