Treating Gapeworm

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
I noticed my 6yr old Australorp stretching out her neck and gasping for breath today. I have brought her in and tested for gapeworm with a swap - that is her problem.

So how do I treat her. I read on line that Flubenol, Aviverm & Flubenvet are treatments but they only show up on New Zealand websites. I have Ivermectin pour on, but I don't know if it works for gapeworm.

Can anyone tell me something that will work - not sure how long she can hang on. Thanks.

I do realize it is uncommon, but I took a qtip and put it down her throat and came up with a little red worm - so pretty sure it is gapeworm.
A qtip wont fit that far down in the windpipe to dislodge gapeworm. It's possible your bird could have Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) in which bloody mucus plugs clog the trachea and birds shake their heads to try and dislodge the plug. Either way, I still recommend a fecal float test for eggs.
Another possibility are capillary worms in the crop, same symptoms. Again, a fecal float will tell you if these types of worms are involved. Then you can treat accordingly.

Usually you cannot see gapes by swabbing the throat. Do you have a picture? Gapeworms are y-shaped, and usually only seen during a necropsy after death by opening the trachea (airway.) The gapeworm eggs also show up on a fecal test done by your vet.
If you want to treat for gapes and other worms, use fenbendazole (Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 5 consecutive days.
Respiratory diseases can mimic gapeworm, so look for sneezing, bubbles in an eye or swelling of the eyelid, and crackly breathing.

Back
Top Bottom