treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

I am so thrilled they are letting me do it. I was afraid they would be offended. People get odd about animals sometimes. I have worried so about the ones that are the worst off. They are rather small hens and have already lost some of their toes. The more I have thought about it the more I feel like I need to call and see if Uncle Bob will let me come catch them tomorrow afternoon and bring them here to treat. The best I could tell today they are the worst off. Both times I have seen them they were hiding between the small shed they use and the outer fence. I am thinking they are going to make me cry when I get them. I could see that one was already having trouble walking. I couldn't tell about the other two. My heart bleeds for poor animals that are captive to folks who either don't care or (in this case) don't know any better.
sharon

OK, your really far.....LOL

I know there are BYC peeps up in that area. make a thread and ask for volunters!!!! I am sure chicken lovers will rise up & help.

Yep I am up a ways! I teach next to the ESE teacher and she has a student that is good with animals and is always eager to make some money so I am going to hire him to come help me treat them. I figure maybe there are 50??? Not good at estimating but there are several pens of them. All different types and some turkeys too. I think maybe I am afraid of the turkeys?! I actually have a bird phobia but it doesn't extend to chickens oddly enough. I was thinking of using vaseline but now I am wondering if I should use a more liquid oil for the feathered legged birds?
sharon

From what I've read on here, WD40 might work for those feathered legs & feet. Seems like it could get down to the skin better than the vaseline. Might even be easier to apply, being a spray. That's what I would try anyways.
I think it's great that they are letting you treat them! I think it's even greater that you are so going out of your way to help!
clap.gif

I was thinking maybe WD 40 or pam? I am doing it for me as for the chickens. I couldn't quit worrying about them. Preservation of sanity at work...what sanity I have left that is!
sharon

I had a mutt with semi-feathered legs. What I found the best and easiest was baby or mineral oil- applied with a small paint brush. The brush technique should make doing a lot of birds much easier. Sometimes I added a drop of teatree oil to the baby oil.

Back
Top Bottom