Treating resp inf, wonder what to do next

EggyErin

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2011
N. Ga mountains
I have my hen in sick bay in the house. The first night I really assumed she would be dead in the morning - open-mouthed gasping, but she was much better next day. She's had six of ten Tylan shots, Vet Rx in her water, Nutri-Drench down her throat. I wondered if her crop was involved and that was why she was better the next day. She hasn't been eating much and has refused the eggs I've twice tried to give her. She's been drinking pretty well so is getting the Vet Rx. She's barking a fair amount now. Is this coughing? No mucous anywhere, poop is okay though had a watery one earlier. Don't know what to do next. She looks good still and will amble around a bit if I let her out of her crate.

Tylan can only help some bacterial infections. Some have no known cure.
The problem could also be viral, fungal or even parasitic or nutritional.
Is it possible to get a nasal and throat swab to an avian vet or better yet your state poultry lab?
Athens Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
The University of Georgia
501 D.W. Brooks Drive
Athens, Georgia 30602-5023
Phone: 706-542-5568

Georgia Poultry Laboratory Network
3235 Abit Massey Way
Gainesville, Georgia 30507-7745
Phone: 770-766-6810

University of Georgia Tifton Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
43 Brighton Road
Tifton, Georgia 31793-3000
Phone: 229-386-3340

WOW!! What great service, ChickenCanoe! I called the lab in Gainesville and talked to them, answered lots of questions that they will give to the vet, who will call me maybe today, probably Monday. The person I talked to said he hoped she didn't pass BUT IF SHE DOES, here's my cell phone number, this is how to preserve the body for necropsy, I'll meet you half-way to pick her up. I couldn't help but be amused. All in the name of science.... Thank you so much for passing all this information along to me.

The barking sounds like she was sneezing. That can be common with viruses, such as infectious bronchitis, and which Tylan would not treat. IB can spread easily to other chickens within days, so if you see more with it, that could be the problem. IB lasts about a month. Bacterial respiratory diseases tend to cause mucus from the nostrils, foamy eyes or purulent eye drainage. Fungal diseases cause gasping and increased drinking. Maintain good air circulation, prevent dust and mold, and make sure that she is drinking plenty of fluids.

Sounds more like IB based on symptoms you describe. She has no mucus discharge and she's drinking about as usual. What do I do for IB?? Different antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom