Treating Wry Neck In Crested Duckling *EDITED TITLE*

jenniemig

Songster
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Qwakers, my 11 day old White Crested who has had a VERY hard life so far, and has been doing well, is now starting to hold her head to one side. It is not bad, YET, but wanted to get started with any treatment I may be able to give him/her ASAP. I am new to ducklings and am wondering is this wry neck? She is eating, drinking, pooping, swimming, everything other than the way she is holding her head is normal.

She is being fed Purina non-medicated chick starter and is getting quick chick in her water. Pic of label posted below.

Can I treat it with Niacin? B vitamins? If so how much, dose, how much per gallon of water? OR is there something else? Do I stop the quick chick?

After researching ALL day I have settled on a treatment for Qwackers. I am giving her 3 drops of Polyvisol without iron twice a day. It has all of the vitamins that she needs in one medicine. I have ordered the Mazuri Waterfowl Starter feed, and found someone local to give me enough to get my 3 babies by until it gets here.

Thanks everyone! I'm headed out to a meeting and will pick up what I need and start it tonight. Hopefully we can nip this in the bud. She is not as active as normal and her little lean looks pitiful.
She looked a bit slow when she was in the tub I thought but I think you'll get it straightened out quickly, look forward to hearing all about it so be sure to keep us updated.

Ok, I decided to start with niacin because in know she drink lots of water and it can get in her system right away. I'm on my 3rd pharmacy and my only niacin options are 250mg time release or 500mg no flush. No one has plain niacin anymore. The vitamin shop and health food store are closed. Which should I get?
They say neither of the ones you just mentioned so I'd either wait till tomorrow and try the natural food store and if they don't have the plain then go with the brewers yeast. you asked for plain niacin? I know some have asked for it and they have had it behind the counter.

Last edited:
Jenniemig I had a crested duckling who did this also. At first I thought it was the weight of the crest that was causing her head to tilt and I thought she would grow out of it so I did not do anything about it. That was the wrong thing to do. She got a lot worse over night and by the time I got the vitamins the tilting was at the point where she would fall over and spin around sometimes when she tried to walk. I am glad you are starting your duckling on the vitamins earlier. When I started giving my crested the vitamins she improved a little bit but I waited too long. She is with my aunt now and can still get around and eat and drink fine so I think she will live, but she may always have to live with this problem. It is very sad :(. I think it may also affect her flying abilities (she is a mallard).
I think if you start your duckling on the vitamins now, she will get better. I just waited too long with mine. Good luck!

I did find the niacin at Whole Foods, after driving all over town. She has been drinking the niacin water, so hopefully she'll improve. I do have peas on my grocery list now, thanks for the info. I bet they'd have fun chasing them around the bathtub during swim time:)
Thank goodness you found the niacin, and that she is drinking it. As for the peas never give ducklings anything other than their mashed crumbles unless you give grit along with it. Hope you see a big improvement quick. and keep her with the other 2, unless they are walking all over her, I just think she'd be too stressed to be separated. Also keep track of your temp in your brooder at their age the temps should be between 80-85

I'm not sure how much selenium she should have either but I know it is used to treat wry neck. I wonder if you posted in the emergency disease section if someone might be able to give you a dosing for chicks?
I have PMed Kathy who is very knowledgeable maybe she will know.
that's castportpony by the way.

Last edited:
So you'll love it either sex. I have a drake who thinks he's our child, we had to bring him in right after hatch because his mama didn't want him. What an experience for my dh and I. 

Yes, boy or girl, doesn't matter. I just want him/her healthy. My husband has gotten pretty attached as well. He holds Qwackers when it's medicine time, he gives some neck rubs too:) I was surprised because he wasn't thrilled that I got the chicks and ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom