treatment for cocci? Dying chicks please help

Quote:
Where can I get corid? I will try raw goats milk for a few days to see if that will work. Thanks!

I heard the calcium in the milk will counteract the drug. Unless they are really needing it I would focus on treating them and then as soon as you are done give them milk

Ok, thanks for the info!
smile.png

Quote:
Not sure about the raw milk but i wouldn't remove the water. Just thinking if they don't like it much they might get dehydrated. Are they on Corid or Sulmet? Medicated feed is not enough when they have coccidiosis. The medicated feed is only a preventative.
smile.png

Where can I get corid? I will try raw goats milk for a few days to see if that will work. Thanks!

Corid 9.6% liquid at the farm store...put 9.5cc in a gallon of water. i would not try the milk first, your birds will keep dying. If you are seeing diarrhea and blood and death this is an emergency and really not the time to try the milk. Make sure the medicated water is all they have to drink. it needs to be re-mixed fresh everyday. It's a big bottle and will last a good while. I wouldn't wait one minute longer.

Quote:

Corid 9.6% liquid at the farm store...put 9.5cc in a gallon of water. i would not try the milk first, your birds will keep dying. If you are seeing diarrhea and blood and death this is an emergency and really not the time to try the milk. Make sure the medicated water is all they have to drink. it needs to be re-mixed fresh everyday. It's a big bottle and will last a good while. I wouldn't wait one minute longer.

I got the corid yesterday, and I am going to give them it, but how much is 9.5cc? I have a syringe that goes by ml.

well my chicks are all doing fine, but my EE hen on the other side is still tipsy on her legs, she is doing a tiny bit better. She had the energy to at least try to push through for some scraps today but hen she almost fell on her butt and she is roosting. I wonder If I should just bring her back inside and make sure she drinks the water. I'm wondering if she got a chance to drink enough for it to work. the others are pooping blood but I think I got them early enough that they aren't bothered too much by it

Quote:
If you can it wouldn't hurt to bring her back in. That way you can be sure she is getting the medicine and eating. Glad your chicks are looking better!
smile.png

I brought her in tonight for her second go on the medicine. it's 2 days on 4 days off 1 day on 4 days off then 1 more day on, then 14 days till we can keep our eggs
It sucks that some of my chicks have died but It would suck more if she passed. She was my favourite EE. she has what I call a princess tail where it doesen't just come out to a point like my other one. it's more like a skirt filled with crinoline. I have one egg I had saved up from the day before this all happened. If I have to I will put that lone egg in the bator
idunno.gif

I brought her in. and she still didn't drink even after the second day.... she is still looking like this
standing up too tall, legs spread apart, all fluffed up with head down mostly

54911_dsc04570.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
If you can it wouldn't hurt to bring her back in. That way you can be sure she is getting the medicine and eating. Glad your chicks are looking better!
smile.png

I brought her in tonight for her second go on the medicine. it's 2 days on 4 days off 1 day on 4 days off then 1 more day on, then 14 days till we can keep our eggs
It sucks that some of my chicks have died but It would suck more if she passed. She was my favourite EE. she has what I call a princess tail where it doesen't just come out to a point like my other one. it's more like a skirt filled with crinoline. I have one egg I had saved up from the day before this all happened. If I have to I will put that lone egg in the bator
idunno.gif

What medication are you using? I am not familiar with this dosing schedule. I believe Corid is given for 5 days straight. Try dipping her beak in the water or using a dropper to very carefully drip some down the side of her beak. Careful not to get it in her nose. Try to get her to eat something. Scrambled eggs or cooked oatmeal will sometimes tempt them. You have to get the medicine in her though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom